Training for cultural journalists from the Arab world 2014
Cultural reporting is an essential part of a journalist’s work. Dealing with cultural issues offers deep insight into societies. But how do you write about a dance performance? How is a review different from a portrait or an essay? How can you feature literature on TV? What role does culture play in the Arab media?
The Goethe-Institut offered an intensive training programme for cultural journalists from the Arab world in September and October for the third consecutive year. Participants learned about basic approaches to cultural reporting during a four-week seminar phase in Berlin and Munich. Essential components of the programme included visits to cultural venues and cultural events, in each case followed by discussions with the organizers or artists. Participants wrote several seminar blog entries during the training, sometimes about the same topic from different perspectives. The seminar and blog language was English.
Next, twoparticipants swapped their workplaces with German journalists for twoweeks in the Close-Up exchange programme.
The goal of the programme was to professionalize Arab cultural journalists, set up an Arab network between journalists and promote exchange between Germany and the Arab world.
- 10-15 journalists working in the print, online, radio or TV sector who are interested and experienced in cultural reporting
- Participating countries: Egypt, Algeria, Iraq, Yemen, Gulf States, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia
- Professional experience: At least three years
- Age: 25-35 years
- Very good knowledge of English
- Communication and media studies
- Cultural journalism in print, TV, radio and online
- Media landscape and cultural scene in Germany
- Cultural Policy
- Research techniques
- Selection of participants: by mid-June 2014
- Language course: prior to departure for Germany (optional)
- Seminar (4 weeks): 22 September to 17 October 2014
- Close-Up (for 2 participants): Between October and November 2014
Services offered by the Goethe-Institut:
- Meeting the costs for airfare, insurance and accommodation expenses and an allowance for the duration of the stay in Germany.
- Four-week seminar programme
- Support with the Close-Up journalistic exchange programme
Programme Coordinator (Visual Arts, Music & Literature)
Project Coordinator Cultural Management / Cultural Journalism MENA
Tel.: +972 22981922-109
Fax: +972 22981923
A project of the Goethe-Institut within the German-Arabian Transformation Partnership, funded by the Ministry of Foreign affairs.