IGNOU Course „Diploma in Teaching German as a Foreign Language“ (DTG)
There is a constant and growing demand for German teachers in India. Therefore, completing this diploma certification will offer you great opportunities and chances to work as a German teacher in India. On the following pages you will find all the necessary information about the prerequisites, formalities and the structure of the diploma course. You need the Flashplayer in order to see this video. The video introduces you to the authors and project coordinators of the DTG programme and provides more information on its development and implementation.
- Bachelor-Degree (field irrelevant)
- German Language Skills on B1-level
- Interest in German language and culture
- The diploma programme DTG is a distance learning programme. It consists of self-learning periods (with submitted assignments) and attendance periods at one of the participating Goethe-Institutes: Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata.
- The duration of the diploma programme is at least 1 year, maximum 3 years (720 hours, including 240 hours of teaching practice)
- Language of instruction and language of the self-study material is German.
- It is mandatory to be present at at least 50% of all attendance days.
Application Application deadline: application to the DTG Programme is possible at any time. A new diploma cycle starts every January. Application: directly through the IGNOU application form:
The brochure offers you more information on the development and implementation of the DTG programme.
Components of the Diploma Programme „Teaching German as a Foreign Language“
1. Self-study periods with print material: As a diploma candidate, you will work independently on four self-study modules (Basics of Teaching, The Four Skills and their Prerequisites, Didactics and Methods of Teaching, Teaching). Every self-study module is completed by submitting a send-in test. During the self-study period, you will be able to contact and receive support from IGNOU-tutors. Generally, tutors will be in contact with you via Email and help you should you have any questions while working through the material.
2. Attendance Periods: The attendance periods will take place at selected IGNOU-centres. They will be conducted and supervised by IGNOU-tutors. The attendance periods are an integral part of your diploma studies during which you will
3. Practical Teaching Sessions: After passing all of your send-in tests, you will complete a supervised teaching practice at a school. Independently or with other diploma candidates, you will plan and conduct teaching sequences and whole lessons. During the practical teaching sessions, you will have the opportunity to implement what you have learned in the self-study modules and gain teaching experience.
4. Final Exam: Once you have completed all of the self-study modules and the teaching practice, you are qualified to take the DTG final exam. IGNOU offers the written exam twice per year (generally in June and December).
- Submitted assignments
- Final written exams