The Transatlantic Outreach Program (TOP) - a non-profit, public/private partnership between the Federal Foreign Office of Germany, the Goethe-Institut, Deutsche Bank, the Robert Bosch Stiftung, and the Siemens Corporation - was founded in 2002 to promote education about Germany, to encourage intercultural dialogue, and to provide the opportunity for North American social studies educators to experience Germany in person. TOP promotes awareness of Germany within the context of its education and political systems, vocational training, corporate social responsibility, environmental sustainability, culture, history, geography and more.
The Three Pillars of TOP correspond with the TOP goals to promote Education, Dialogue, and Experience:
- Teaching Materials. TOP currently produces two textbooks for the elementary, middle, and secondary levels. These textbooks are authored by American and German professionals and edited by TOP staff. In addition, TOP produces wall maps, videos, a series of online games, and a student workbook.
- Workshops. TOP sponsors hundreds of in-service training workshops every year by providing its educational materials free-of-charge to workshop leaders.
- Study Tours. TOP sends social studies educators to Germany every summer on all-expenses-paid study tours.
Board of Overseers
TOP is a public/private partnership initiative of the Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany, the Goethe-Institut, Deutsche Bank, the Robert Bosch Stiftung, and the Siemens Corporation. Members from each of the four partners form the Board of Overseers.
The current members of the Board include:
- (Chairman of the Board) Peter Wittig, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany to the United States of America, Washington, D.C.
- Dr. Christoph Bartmann, Goethe-Institut Regional Director for North America, New York, N.Y.
- Christian Hänel, Head of Department International Relations America and Asia, Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stuttgart, Germany
- Gary Hattem, President, Deutsche Bank Americas Foundation, New York, N.Y.
- Edith Pürschel, Director, Head of Brand & Corporate Citizenship Strategy, Deutsche Bank, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Klaus P. Stegemann, Chief Financial Officer, Siemens Corporation, New York, N.Y.