Those social studies educators who have traveled to Germany with TOP as study tour participants are referred to as “TOP Fellows”. From 2005 onward, the Transatlantic Outreach Program will annually award the title “TOP Fellow of the Year” to the one educator from the entire TOP Fellow network who satisfies the following criteria:
- Quality and quantity of in-service training workshops led,
- Quality of written unit(s) of learning,
- Personal qualities, such as enthusiasm for teaching about Modern Germany, leadership displayed during the study tour, and a desire to collaborate with other educators to strengthen German-American relations in the Social Studies classroom and beyond.
The “TOP Fellow of the Year” will be awarded the following:
- An airplane ticket (or mileage reimbursement), hotel room, and associated registration costs to the annual National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) conference,
- A reception during the conference in her/his honor,
- A plaque to be presented during the reception,
- A check in the amount of $500.00 USD,
- A letter informing the recipient’s school principal and/or school district superintendent of the award,
- Consideration to be selected as a study tour group leader.
The TOP Fellow of the Year is determined by the Board of Overseers based on nominations made by the TOP Team in DC.
|TOP Fellows of the Year||Year Selected|
|Thomas Bittner (Hamburg, NY)||2013|
|Mary T. McCullagh (Plantation, FL)||2012|
|James Feldman (St. Clair Shores, MI)||2011|
|Paul Dickler (Dodgeville, WI)
|Scott Noet (Faribault, MN)
|Daniel W. Dunne (Rochester, NY)
|Linda Cotter (Columbus, OH)||2007|
|Henry Rehn (Sterling Heights, MI)||2006|
|G. Dale Greenawald (Boulder, CO)||2005|