1. General Conditions
Course participants must be at least 18 years of age.
2. Terms of Payment
2.1. To register, please use the secure Pay Now button on the course description page. You will be redirected to our PayPal merchant site where you may pay for the course either by using your PayPal account or with most major credit cards if you are not a PayPal member. Registration is not complete until we have received payment for the course.
2.2. Students registering for the first time for a class at the Goethe-Institut Washington must submit a one-time, non-refundable registration fee of $20. This registration fee must be submitted together with the course payment. Failure to pay the registration fee may delay/invalidate registration.
2.3. Effective immediately, the Goethe-Institut’s preferred method of payment is PayPal. In order to guarantee your space in the class, payment is due one week prior to the first class meeting. Payment by cash, check or money order is also acceptable. Students who have not paid their invoice by the first day of class cannot be guaranteed a place in the class.
2.4. The Goethe-Institut (in the following: GI) reserves the right to claim full payment in such cases.
3. Course Fees3.1. The fee stated on the course description page at the time of application is the contractually binding fee.
4. Cancellation and Refunds4.1 Should the student wish to cancel his or her enrollment in a standard 27 or 36 instructional unit course, the following conditions apply: if the cancellation is made up to 7 (seven) days after the start of the course, the student will receive a refund of the course fee minus a $100 cancellation fee. After the 7th (seventh) day, no refund is possible and no credit will be given, regardless if the course is attended or not.
4.2 Should the student wish to cancel his or her enrollment in an intensive course or in a course with fewer than 24 or fewer units of instruction, the following conditions apply: if the cancellation is made prior to the first day of the class, the student will receive a refund of the course fee minus a $50 administration fee. After the class has begun, no refund is possible and no credit will be given, regardless if the course is attended or not.
4.3 Cancellations must be made in writing (email to email@example.com will suffice).
5. Course Level Assignment/Class size5.1. Placement in a particular course level is based on the results of the preliminary placement test and the information provided in the participant's application.
5.2. All courses will have a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 16 participants unless otherwise stated in the course program.
6. Responsibilities of the Student6.1 The student is required to obey all course regulations and all house rules for the duration of his or her course at GI.
7. Liabilities of the Goethe-lnstitut
7.1 The liability for damage and legal responsibility of GI and its employees is limited to intent and negligence. Neither the GI nor its employees are liable for the cancellation of its services due to acts of God, industrial action, reasons due to the negligence of parties other than the GI or otherwise unacceptable reasons.
7.2 In case of inclement weather, German classes are only ever cancelled when the federal government's operating status is listed as "CLOSED" or "EARLY DISMISSAL:" www.opm.gov/status. If the federal government should close, we will make every effort to inform you by email. Our language program operations are not affected by delays or liberal leave, etc. If, under this policy, classes are cancelled due to inclement weather, they will be made up prior to the end of the current session at a time/date determined by the language department.
8. Conflict Resolution / Suggestions
8.1 Our Language Department can advise you about the Goethe Institut's language courses and examinations in Washington, DC and in Germany. Please do not hesitate to contact us: we are here to help. Please use one of the following email links to address suggestions, complaints, comments, etc. to the language department. The Goethe-Institut Washington constantly strives to improve its business processes and customer service and your comments are greatly appreciated. Contact the Language Department. If you would prefer to submit your comments in writing, please use the address below:
Attn.: Language Department
812 7th Street NW
Washington DC 20001-3718