Dr. Ulrike Groos, born in 1963 in Schlüchtern (Hesse), has been the director of the Kunstmuseum Stuttgart since 2010.
Groos studied art history, musicology and ethnology in Würzburg, New York and Münster. She gained her PhD in art history and musicology with a thesis on “Ars Musica in Venedig im 16. Jahrhundert” (The ars musica in 16th-century Venice).
After completing a postdoctoral trainee programme at the Westfälisches Landesmuseum für Kunst- und Kulturgeschichte in Münster and working in the office of the exhibition “sculpture projects muenster 97”, she became project manager of “Manifesta 2 – The European Biennial of Contemporary Art” in Luxembourg in 1997/98. In 1999 she was appointed co-curator of the Hauser & Wirth Collection in St. Gallen and Zurich. From 2002 to 2009 Groos was the director of the Kunsthalle Düsseldorf. She curated the “11th Small Sculpture Triennial Fellbach” in 2010, and took up her current position as director of the Kunstmuseum Stuttgart that same year.
In addition to her curatorial activities, Ulrike Groos taught at the School of Art and Design Zurich from 2001 to 2006.
Groos has served on numerous advisory boards, including the committee to select the artistic director of Documenta 12, the jury for visual art fellowships at the Villa Massimo in Rome and the purchasing committee of the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein.
- “Michel Majerus”, Kunstmuseum Stuttgart, 2011
- "Kosmos Rudolf Steiner", Kunstmuseum Stuttgart, 2011
- "Eat Art. Food in Art", Kunstmuseum Stuttgart, 2010/11
- “Eating the Universe. Food in Art”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2010
- “SONIC YOUTH etc.: SENSATIONAL FIX”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2009
- “Danica Dakic”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2009
- “Palermo”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2007
- “under cover – aus dem Verborgenen, Berlinde De Bruyckere and Martin Honert”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2006
- “Allen Ruppersberg. One of Many – Origins and Variants”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2005
- “Daumenkino. The Flip Book Show”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2005
- “Diving Trips. Drawing as Reportage”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2005
- “Compilation I – IV” (series of exhibitions of work by young artists), Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2003–2009
- “Ready to Shoot – Fernsehgalerie Gerry Schum/videogalerie schum”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2003
- “Back to Concrete – The Beginnings of Punk and New Wave in Germany 1977–82”, Kunsthalle Düsseldorf, 2002