Roland Nachtigäller, born in 1960 in Dortmund, is an art historian. Since 2009 he has been artistic director of the Marta Herford museum.
Nachtigäller studied art, German, visual communication and media education in Kassel. After working as a research assistant at the newly founded Kunsthalle Museum Fridericianum in Kassel, he joined the team of documenta 9 in 1991, where his responsibilities included heading the catalogue department. As a freelance writer and curator he subsequently worked on a number of major exhibition projects, including “Europa, Europa” at the Bundeskunsthalle in Bonn in 1993/94. Between 1998 and 2000 he co-curated (with Martin Köttering) the outdoor sculpture project “kunstwegen” in the German-Dutch border region.
In 2001 Nachtigäller organized “Wiedervorlage d5” for the documenta Archive at the Fridericianum in Kassel; this exhibition combined archival materials from the Szeemann-documenta with spatial installations by five contemporary artists (Stephen Craig, Sabine Groß, Christian Jankowski, Michel Majerus and Tobias Rehberger). From 2003 to 2008 he was the director of the Städtische Galerie Nordhorn, where he presented major solo exhibitions by Martin Walde, Andreas Gefeller, Korpys/Löffler, Adrian Schiess, Matthias Bitzer, Franka Hörnschemeyer, Hans Hemmert and Jürgen Stollhans, among others. During this time he also supervised the artistic field laboratory “Feldversuche”, which opened in 2007 in Gartow/Elbe, and until 2008 he developed and co-directed “raumsichten” – an extension of the “kunstwegen” project featuring contributions by nine international artists.
Since becoming artistic director of Marta Herford, Nachtigäller has developed a new exhibition format entitled “Marta_SMS” and has also presented solo exhibitions featuring the work of Royden Rabinowitch, Dennis Oppenheim, Paolo Chiasera and Martin Walde. In autumn 2010 he was responsible for the installation of two “Safety Cones” by Dennis Oppenheim at a road junction in Herford, as part of the Marta project “Fünf Tore / Fünf Orte”.
Roland Nachtigäller continues to hold the post of managing director of the German-Dutch operating company kunstwegen EWIV. He lectures at museums and art colleges, sits on the jury for a number of art awards and publishes regularly on the subject of art.
- “We are all Astronauts – Universe Richard Buckminster Fuller reflected in contemporary art”, Marta Herford, Herford, 2011
- “Things are Queer – Highlights of UniCredit Art Collection”, Marta Herford, Herford, 2011
- “We are Orient – Contemporary Arabesque”, Marta Herford, Herford, 2010
- “Invisible Shadows – Images of Uncertainty”, Marta Herford, Herford, 2010
- “Hellwach gegenwärtig – Ausblicke auf die Sammlung Marta”, Marta Herford, Herford, 2009
- “Pittoresk – Neue Perspektiven auf das Landschaftsbild”, Marta Herford, Herford, 2009
- “Türkisch Delight”, Städtische Galerie Nordhorn, Nordhorn, 2007
- “Wucherungen und Wandnahmen”, Städtische Galerie Nordhorn, Nordhorn, 2006
- “Modellräume – Bühnen, Spielfelder, Versuchsanordnungen”, Städtische Galerie Nordhorn, Nordhorn, 2005
- “Daheim in der Fremde – Fremd in der Heimat”, Städtische Galerie Nordhorn, Nordhorn, 2004
- “Plastik, Plüsch und Politik – Reflexe der 70er Jahre in der Gegenwartskunst”, Städtische Galerie Nordhorn, Nordhorn, 2003