Dr. Jule Reuter, born in 1962 in Staßfurt, has been the curator and head of exhibitions at Dresden Academy of Fine Arts since March 2011.
Jule Reuter gained a degree in art theory and art history (HU Berlin) and Slavonic studies (FU Berlin). Her book “GegenKunst in Leningrad” was published in 1990. From 1994 to 1997 she completed a post-graduate training programme on transformation research in Eastern Europe (FU Berlin), and obtained her doctorate in 2000 with a thesis on unofficial art in Leningrad between 1949 and 1990. From 1998 to 2002 Reuter worked as an independent curator for Galerie Pankow in Berlin, where she organized exhibitions with a particular emphasis on contemporary installation art. These included shows by Folke Köbberling, Martin Kaltwasser, Helgard Haug and Stella Geppert. From 1999 to 2002 she was a member of the “Alexanderplatz U2” project group at the New Society for Visual Arts (NGBK) in Berlin, where she organized projects in the public realm. In 2002/2003 she curated the photographic chronicle for the exhibition “Berlin – Moscow, Moscow – Berlin 1950–2000” at the Martin-Gropius-Bau in Berlin, where she also worked on other international art exhibitions between 2005 and 2008. In 2010 she set up a working platform entitled colabor 2plusX.
Jule Reuter writes catalogue essays, gives talks and lectures, and serves on professional juries in the field of photography and “Kunst am Bau” (percent for art) initiatives.
- “Kritische Masse. Zeitgenössische Kunst zu aktuellen Fragen der Gesellschaft”, Oktogon, Dresden Academy of Fine Arts, 2011
- “Goodbye London. Radical Art and Politics in the Seventies”, NGBK, Berlin; Motorenhalle, Dresden (co-curator), 2010/2011
- “1989–2009: Turbulent World – Telling Time. Contemporary Photography and Video Works from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Germany”, a Goethe-Institut travelling exhibition shown in the Eastern European and Central Asian regions, 2009/2010
- “Vollendete Zukunft”, part of the project “Aus der Traum? Künstlerische Aufbrüche und Reflexionen seit ’68”, Galerie parterre, Berlin, 2008
- “realfiktiv”, Guardini Galerie, Berlin and Neue Sächsische Galerie, Chemnitz, 2006
- “an sich” (Fotografische Selbstporträts I) and “über ich” (Fotografische Selbstporträts II), Galerie Pankow, Berlin, 2002