Dr. Reinhard Spieler, born in 1964 in Upper Bavaria, has been the director of the Wilhelm Hack Museum in Ludwigshafen am Rhein since 2007.
Spieler studied art history, classical archaeology and modern German literature in Munich, Berlin and Paris; in 1997 he obtained his doctorate under the supervision of Uwe M. Schneede with a thesis on the triptychs of Max Beckmann. In 1997/98 he completed a traineeship at the Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen in Düsseldorf (K20), and continued to work there as a research assistant until 2000. In 2002 he became the founding director of the museum franz gertsch in Burgdorf near Bern (Switzerland), where he organized a major Franz Gertsch retrospective and exhibitions on the work of Gerhard Richter and Lucio Fontana, as well as numerous thematic presentations. In 2007 Spieler was appointed director of the Wilhelm Hack Museum in Ludwigshafen am Rhein; he reopened the museum in 2009 following extensive refurbishment with an exhibition entitled “ALLES” – a presentation of the museum’s entire collection (consisting of nearly 10,000 works) in a randomly arranged salon hang.
In addition to his activities as a museum director and exhibition organizer, Spieler has held teaching posts at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf and other universities in Düsseldorf, Bern and Heidelberg. His artistic and research interests focus on classical modernism – above all Max Beckmann, on whose work he has written numerous books and essays such as “Max Beckmann. Bildwelt und Weltbild in den Triptychen”, (1998) and “Max Beckmann 1884–1950: The Path to Myth” (1995) – and on contemporary art in all its diverse media and forms of manifestation.
- "I love ALDI. Das Prinzip Discount", Wilhelm-Hack-Museum Ludwigshafen 2011/12
- “Tatjana Doll. Toxic Chemicals”, Wilhelm Hack Museum, Ludwigshafen am Rhein, 2010
- “Against all Reason. Surrealism Paris – Prague”, Wilhelm Hack Museum, Ludwigshafen am Rhein and Kunstverein Ludwigshafen, Ludwigshafen am Rhein, 2009/10
- “Anton Henning. Antonym. Malerei, Zeichnung, Skulptur und Video 1990 bis 2009”, Wilhelm Hack Museum, Ludwigshafen am Rhein and Kunsthalle Mannheim, Mannheim, 2009
- “ALLES. 9236 Werke”, Wilhelm Hack Museum, Ludwigshafen am Rhein, 2009
- “The Sublime is Now!”, museum franz gertsch, Burgdorf, 2006
- “Franz Gertsch. The Retrospective”, museum franz gertsch, Burgdorf and Kunstmuseum Bern, Bern, 2005; Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst, Aachen 2006; Kunsthalle Tübingen, Tübingen, 2006; Albertina, Vienna and MUMOK, Vienna, 2007
- “Gerhard Richter – Without Color”, museum franz gertsch, Burgdorf, 2005
- “true lies. Lies and Other Truths in Contemporary Photography”, museum franz gertsch, Burgdorf, 2004 (with Maurizio Cattelan, Sophie Calle, Taryn Simon, Lois Renner, Slawomir Elsner and Filipa César, among others)
- “personal light. 10 Lichtkunstpositionen”, Kunsthaus Hamburg, Hamburg, 2001
- “Ich ist etwas Anderes. Kunst am Ende des 20. Jahrhunderts”, Kunstsammlung NRW/K20, Düsseldorf, 2000 (co-curated by Armin Zweite and Doris Krystof)
- “News”. Video and audio installation by Julian Rosefeldt and Piero Steinle, Kunstsammlung NRW, Düsseldorf, 1998; Galerie für zeitgenössische Kunst Leipzig and ZKM Karlsruhe, 1999