Angelika Stepken, born in 1955 in Moers in the Lower Rhine, has been director of the Villa Romana in Florence since 2006.
Following her studies in art history, philosophy and political science at the Freie Universität Berlin and a period of training as a painting restorer in Florence, Stepken took up work as an arts review editor and art critic. From 1987 to 1998 she carried out numerous international exhibition projects in Berlin and abroad (as far flung as Poland, China, Scandinavia and Turkey).
Between 1998 and 2006 Angelika Stepken was director of the Badischer Kunstverein in Karlsruhe. Besides this, she teaches at the art-historical institute of the University of Karlsruhe and is the deputy chairman of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft deutscher Kunstvereine (AdKV, Federation of German art associations).
The key focus of her curatorial activity lies on artistic positions that reflect the concept of artistic work and the work of art in social dimensions.
Among the artists Stepken has featured in solo exhibitions are Ewa Partum, Alfredo Jaar, Ross Sinclair, Lili Dujourie, Moebius, Joelle Tuerlinckx and Willem Oorebeek.
Thematic exhibitions she has curated include:
- “Welcome To The Art World” (with Stefan Altenburger, Pawel Altamer, Nina Fischer & Maroan el Sani, Olivier Dollinger, Jens Haaning, Thorvaldur Thorsteinsson, Vibeke Tandberg, 1999)
- “edit” (with Ceal Floyer, Johan Grimonprez, Philippe Parreno, Erik Steinbrecher, 2000)
- “SansSouci oder: die Kunst der Entsorgung” (with Esra Ersen, Angus Fairhurst, Malachi Farrell, Twin Gabriel, Ling Jian, Igor and Svetlana Kopystiansky, Olaf Metzel, Christian Schmidt-Rasmussen, 2000)
- “Uncertain Signs – True Stories” (with Lene Berg, Sanja Perisic, Tanja Ostojic, Fanni Niemi-Junkola, Neriman Polat, Henrietta Lehtonen, Ana Torfs, Sarah Anahory, Cristina Mateus, 2001)
- “PARA>SITES – Who is moving the global city?” (with Sean Snyder, Kyong Park, Lars Kordetzky, Marjetica Potrc, Sybil Kohl/Philipp Oswalt/Albrecht Schäfer, Oliver Musovik, 2003)
- “Sisters and Brothers and Birds” (with Songül Boyraz, Hatice Güleryüz, Nasan Tur, Asli Sungu, Banu Cennetoglu, Anny and Sibel Öztürk, Nevin Aladag, Evren Tekinoktay, Fahrettin Örenli, Ümüt Bilgi, 2004)
- “Kritische Gesellschaften / Critical societies” (with Marlene McCarty, Heather and Patrick Burnett-Rose, Lukas Einsele, Florian Hecker, Martha Rosler, Allan Sekula, Jeroen de Rijke/Willem de Rooij, Eylem Aladogan, Arnika Larsson, Runa Islam, Stephen Willats, Fikret Atay, Lutz Fezer/Skafte Kuhn/Michel Stumpf, Indra, Park Chan Kyong, L.A. Raeven, Kai Schiemenz, Eva Keil, Anthony Howard, John Baldessari, Carey Young, Oliver Ressler, Jens Haaning, Hans Haacke, Kirstine Roepstorff, Carol Bove, Stephen Craig, Hans Peter Feldmann, Matthieu Laurette, WOLRDS APART, Simon Wachsmuth, Thomas Killper, Isa Melsheimer, Twin Gabriel, 2005)