Christoph Tannert was born in 1955 in Leipzig and has lived in Berlin since 1976, where he is the director and project coordinator of Künstlerhaus Bethanien. The main focus of his work is on exhibition organization and art criticism within the field of contemporary art.
Tannert studied archaeology and art history at the Humboldt University in Berlin, graduating in 1981. Until 1990 he worked as an art critic, journalist and exhibition organizer in Berlin and Eastern Europe. He was also involved in publishing artists’ books and releasing cassette tapes and LPs through the private publishing house URSUS PRESS. This was followed in 1990 by a period of art gallery work, during which time he co-founded Galerie Vier in Berlin.
In 1991 Tannert was appointed to the post of project coordinator at Künstlerhaus Bethanien in Berlin, becoming its director in 2000. Since then he has also been co-editor of “BE” magazine, published by Künstlerhaus Bethanien.
Tannert co-founded the Brandenburgischer Kunstverein Potsdam in 1994 and until 2003 was vice-chairman of its management board. In the same year he was appointed to the management board of the Berlin Photography Festival, and in 2006, 2008 and 2010 he served as a reviewer for FotoFest Houston/Texas.
Christoph Tannert has published widely on subjects related to contemporary art; recent projects have included co-editing (with Ute Tischler) the publication “Men in Black: Handbook of Curatorial Practice”, 2004 (German/English) and editing “New German Painting” in 2006 (German/English), as well as numerous essay contributions to art magazines and monographic catalogues.
For many years Tannert was a member of the editorial board of the magazine EUROPEAN PHOTOGRAPHY; he has served on the Advisory Board for Visual Arts of the Goethe-Institut in Munich and was also a member of Berlin Council for the Arts (Rat für die Künste).
In 2005 Tannert was awarded the Golden Cross of Merit of the Republic of Poland for his services to German-Polish relations.
- “AVANT-GOÛT / Live in your head”, Espace d’exposition de la Head, Geneva (2009, catalogue)
- “Daydreams & Dark Sides”, Künstlerhaus Bethanien, Berlin (2008, catalogue)
- “REALITY CROSSINGS” / 2nd Foto Festival Mannheim-Ludwigshafen-Heidelberg (2007, included a special edition of the magazine “European Photography”)
- “Urban Realities. Focus Istanbul”, Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin (2005, catalogue)
- “Moscow/Berlin 1950–2000”, State Historical Museum, Moscow (2004, catalogue)
- “Moscow/Berlin 1950–2000”, Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin (2003, catalogue)
- “2nd Sculpture Biennial Münsterland”, Münsterland (2001, catalogue)