Prof. Peter Weibel, born in 1944 in Odessa, is director of the ZKM | Center for Art and Media in Karlsruhe and chief curator of the Neue Galerie Graz.
Weibel studied, amongst other subjects, literature, film, medicine and mathematics in Vienna and Paris. As an artist he became known particularly for his works in the realm of performance, concept art, experimental film and media and computer art.
After various teaching posts and visiting professorships for video art and new media in (amongst others) Vienna, Halifax (Canada), Kassel and Buffalo (New York State, USA), in 1986 Peter Weibel was appointed artistic consultant of Ars Electronica in Linz, working as its artistic director from 1992–1995. Between 1993 and 1999 he was curator of the Austrian pavilion at the Venice Biennale and artistic director of the Neue Galerie Graz. Since 1984 Weibel has also been professor for media design at the University of Applied Arts Vienna. In 1999 he became director of the ZKM | Center for Art and Media in Karlsruhe and chief curator of the Neue Galerie Graz.
Among Weibel’s best-known projects in Graz are not only his solo presentations of artists such as Peter Fend (1993), Pipilotti Rist (1995), Louise Lawler (1995), William Kentridge (1999) and Olafur Eliasson (2000), but above all his thematic exhibitions such as “Kontext Kunst”, “Inklusion : Exklusion” (1996), “Der anagrammatische Körper” (The anagrammatical body; 1999/2000) and “Phantom der Lust. Visionen des Masochismus in der Kunst” (Phantom of desire: Visions of masochism in art; 2003).
Exhibitions at the ZKM Karlsruhe include:
- “Making Things Public” (in collaboration with Bruno Latour; 2005)
- “Future Cinema. The Cinematic Imaginary after Film” (2003)
- “Iconoclash. Beyond the Image Wars in Science, Religion and Art” (2002)
- “Ctrl Space – Rhetorik der Überwachung von Bentham bis Big Brother” (Ctrl Space – the rhetoric of surveillance from Bentham to Big Brother; 2001/2002)
- “net_condition” (1999)
Publications about Peter Weibel:
- Romana Schuler (ed.), “Peter Weibel. Bildwelten 1982–1996”, Triton: Vienna, 1996.
- Ecke Bonk, Peter Gente, Margit Rosen (eds.), “05-03-44: Liebesgrüsse aus Odessa: für Peter Weibel”, Merve Verlag: Berlin, 2004.
- Alfred Kolleritsch, Christa Steinle (eds.), “Peter Weibel: X-Dream”, Droschl: Graz (etc.), 2004.