Axel J. Wieder, born in 1971, is currently working as Director of Index - The Swedish Contemporary Art Foundation in Stockholm.
Wieder studied art history and cultural theory at the University of Cologne and the Humboldt University in Berlin, specializing in conceptual art, postmodern theory and architecture. Since 1990 he has taken part in numerous exhibitions in collaboration with Jesko Fezer, including the 9th International Istanbul Biennial in 2005. In 1999, together with Jesko Fezer and Katja Reichard, he founded the “Pro qm” bookstore in Berlin, which is also a venue for experimental events in the field of art and urbanism. For the 3rd Berlin Biennale in 2004 Wieder and Fezer devised a section on urban spatial development in Berlin. Among his many other projects at that time, Wieder co-curated and managed the exhibition “Now and Ten Years Ago” at KW Institute for Contemporary Art in Berlin. He has also held lecturing posts at various universities and art academies, including the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and the Zürcher Hochschule der Künste.
From 2007 to 2010, Wieder was artistic director of Künstlerhaus Stuttgart. In 2010 he worked as Visiting Curator at Ludlow 38, Goethe-Institut New York. Under his directorship the Künstlerhaus Stuttgart repositioned itself both locally and internationally. Wieder developed an interdisciplinary programme aimed at forging closer links between theoretical formats and exhibition presentations. Exhibitions included monographic shows by Bernadette Corporation, Jay Chung/Q Takeki Maeda, Katya Sander, Oscar Tuazon and Susanne Kriemann. These were augmented by historical positions, above all from the 1960s and 1970s. Large-scale thematic presentations have included the exhibition “Social Diagrams. Planning Reconsidered”, which addressed the links between planning theory – as proposed for example by the Hochschule für Gestaltung Ulm (Ulm School of Design) – and the practice of artists working today. In 2012 he organized an exibition about the work of Maryanne Amacher, a composer and artist, at the daad galerie - with concerts and screenings at the Hamburger Bahnhof and other places in Berlin. From 2012- 2014 he has been Head of Programme and Curator of Exhibitions at Arnolfini Center of Contemporary Arts in Bristol.
Axel Wieder’s work frequently focuses on the history and theory of exhibiting art, social space and issues of political representation.
Wieder has published numerous books and contributes regularly to catalogues, anthologies and magazines such as Texte zur Kunst and Frieze. He also sits on numerous juries and panels.
- „Tobias Putrih: After Frei Otto“, Ludlow 38, New York, 2010 (with Tobi Maier)
- „Ei Arakawa, Sergei Tcherepnin - Quasar – Lanterns“, Künstlerhaus Stuttgart, Stuttgart, 2009
- „Metahaven: Stadtstaat. A Scenario for Merging Cities“, Künstlerhaus Stuttgart, Stuttgart , Casco, Utrecht, 2009 (with Binna Choi)
- „Social Diagrams. Planning Reconsidered“, Künstlerhaus Stuttgart, Stuttgart, 2008 (with Jesko Fezer)
- „1, 2, 3 … Avant-Gardes“, Künstlerhaus Stuttgart, Stuttgart, 2007 (with Lukasz Ronduda and Florian Zeyfang)
- „Now And Ten Years Ago“, KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin, 2004 (with Stephan Dillemuth and Josef Strau)
- „Urbane Konditionen“, 3rd Berlin Biennial, 2004 (with Jesko Fezer)
- „Version Control", 2013, Arnolfini, Bristol