Ewald Palmetshofer was born in 1978 at Mühlviertel, Upper Austria. He initially studied drama and German language and literature, but transferred to theology and teacher training in the subjects philosophy, psychology and education, which he is still studying today. Alongside his studies and writing, he works in the social sector.
© Ruth Deibl
He participated in the wiener wortstaetten author-theatre project during the 2006/07 season.
Since the 2007/08 season, he has been author in residence at the Schauspielhaus in Vienna.
In 2008, Ewald Palmetshofer was chosen as best young dramatist in the Theater heute Yyearbook critics’ survey. 2008 saw him nominated for the Mülheim Dramatists’ Award with hamlet is dead. no gravity, for which he was put forward again in 2010 with his play faust is hungry and chokes on gretchen. In the 2011/2012 season, Ewald Palmetshofer is a guest dramaturg at the Nationaltheater Mannheim.
Prizes and Awards
- 2005: Stipend for the 17th Luaga & Losna International Theatre Festival at Nenzing, Vorarlberg
- 2005: Retzhof Literature Prize for Young Drama for “gelding”
- 2006: Invitation to the Werkstatttage at the Vienna Burgtheater with “living. under glass”
- 2007: Invitation to the hotINK International Play Reading Festival, New York with the English translation of “Superheroes”
- 2008: Invitation to the Mülheim Theatertage with “hamlet is dead. no gravity”
- 2008: Royal Court Theatre International Residency, London
- 2008: Best young dramatist of 2008 in the “Theater heute” yearbook critics’ survey
- 2008: Dramatists’ Award of the Cultural Committee of German Business
- 2011: Promotion Award of the City of Vienna for Literature