© Nachlass Wilfried Böing
Documentary maker and screenwriter, born in 1959 in Stuttgart, began a degree in psychology at Berlin in 1982. Before graduating, in 1988, he took a directing and dramaturgy course led by the Polish director Kieslowski at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien alongside his university studies. Since 1988, Andres Veiel has worked on his own screenplays, films, plays and theatre productions. He teaches at various film colleges and universities, including the Berlin Free University, the University of Zurich and institutions in Johannesburg and New Delhi. He is a member of the European Film Academy and the German Film Academy and has been honoured for his films with numerous national and international awards.
Prizes and Awards:
- 2001 European Film Prize
- 2002 German Film Prize for "Black Box BRD" (i.e., "Black Box Germany")
- 2004 Audience Award at the 54th Berlin International Film Festival, nomination for the 2004 European Film Prize and the German Film Critics' Award for "Die Spielwütigen" (i.e., "Addicted to Acting")
- Veiel's film of the same title based on the play "Der Kick" was screened in the Panorama section of the Berlin International Film Festival in February 2006.
Translated plays by Andres Veiel and Gesine Schmidt in the Theatre Library
- "Das Himbeerreich" (i.e. "The Raspberry Reich")
UA Schauspiel Stuttgart
- "Der Kick" (i.e., “The Kick”)
Premiered at the Theater Basel/Maxim Gorki Theater, Berlin, 2005
- “Die letzte Probe” (i.e., “The Last Rehearsal”)
Premiered at the Theater Spielraum, Berlin, 1989
- “Hier drin kannst du alles haben” (i.e., “You Can Have Everything in Here”)
Premiered at Tegel Prison, Berlin, 1987