Language protection in France and Germany
6 June 2007, 18.30 hrs
Goethe-Forum in the Goethe-Institut, Munich, Dachauer Str. 122
As part of “The power of language” project, and in co-operation with the German Language Council, the Goethe-Institut is holding a panel event on language protection, i.e. on questions of possibilities for political intervention and direction in the field of language use.
A panel discussion is to evaluate and debate the measures taken by our French neighbours to protect their language.
Does language protection in France work as envisaged? What is the current French view of these measures? Is it actually possible to protect language in a globalised world? Should – as some people advocate – Germany adopt a language protection law as well?
The panel consists of German and French experts on the subject. Participants:
• M. Jean François Baldi, Délégué général adjoint à la langue Française et aux langues de France
• M. Jean-Claude Crespy, Director of the Institut Français, Berlin
• Prof. Dr. Jutta Limbach, President, Goethe-Institut
• Prof. Dr. Jürgen Trabant, Romance Philology, Free University of Berlin
• Chair: Mr Maik Meuser, Deutsche Welle