Digital Libraries in Russia
Increasing importance of social media tools
For years digital services took a very humble place among other types of library services. During the COVID-19 crisis the role of digital offerings has become significantly more important. Nowadays most of the libraries in Russia, no matter how small they are, use technology to improve services for customers.
By Daria Klenova
By using digital tools modern libraries aim to:
- Attract customers to library services
- Make library services more accessible
- Help users to learn new skills
- Provide users with a variety of information
Librarians all over the country have been obliged to acquire social media skills in order to gain a competitive advantage.
- Online research services
- App-based access to libraries’ materials
- Book, audio, and video recommendation schemes
- Educational services: master-classes, workshops, open lessons, lectures
I believe that the digital services offered by libraries are now more important than ever before. Library advocates from all over the world should work together to keep up with contemporary trends, share successful practices and create a strong international network. My personal aim is to continue fostering positive changes in the field of digital library services.