Kolkata ( West Bengal / India ) : Indo-European Residency Project
Who: Artists practicing different art forms (one from Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy and India)
Section: Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Film, Music, Literature, Media
Duration: 8 weeks
Closing date for applications: 31 July 2021
About the Residency
The Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan Kolkata, the Alliance Française du Bengale with Institut français en Inde, the British Council, Kolkata and the Consolato Generale d'Italia in Kolkata, in collaboration with the Kolkata based gallery CIMA and the Istituto Italiano di Cultura in New Delhi, are organizing the forth interdisciplinary Indo-European Residency Project Kolkata. In 2021, for the first time, the residency will be designed on a digital platform, thus ensuring that the residency will take place notwithstanding the prevailing COVID situation. The digital platform aims to reflect all the elements that gives the participants the feel of actually experiencing the city of Kolkata. The residency will last for nine weeks and is planned to start from mid-September 2021.
For the Indo-European Residency Project Kolkata, five artists practicing different art forms (one from Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy and India respectively) will work and explore the city together for eight weeks. This is made possible through a digital platform which is being specially designed for the residency. The ninth week will be dedicated to setting up an exhibition to be showcased on the digital platform, and if possible, also physically in Kolkata, even at a later stage.At the beginning of the interdisciplinary Indo-European Residency Project Kolkata, the selected artists are expected to do a public presentation of their previous artistic work and of their initial ideas for the residency in the form of a short audio-visual presentation online.
During the residency, the artists will meet for a productive exchange with cosmopolitan and culturally interested people, artists, NGOs and others in Kolkata and West Bengal. The residents will experience the city, get immersed into the everyday culture of the city and its cultural scene and are expected to make maximum usage of all the relevant resources that will be provided on the digital platform. Here, all kinds of possible exchanges and experiences will be made available which will enable the selected artists to not only meet people from the city, but also digitally go on city tours, visit museums and art galleries, artists' studios and much more, accordingly also to their specific artistic research interests.
The aim of this residency is to conceive an individual or a collective artistic project which will be presented in the ninth week. The engagement, with fellow artists from different countries, along with personal artistic experiences will help to shape a cultural space for inspiring ideas and producing entrancing results.
At the end of the residency, the individual or collaborative artistic projects developed during the residency will be presented in an online exhibition, which will mark the closing of the residency, and if possible, also physically in Kolkata, even at a later stage.
Conditions of participationThe residency is aimed at artists from all fields of the arts who:
- live and work in Germany/France/UK/Italy/India,
- can communicate in English fluently,
- have a suitable project idea in mind,
- have sufficient knowledge to navigate on a digital platform.
- ZOOM account
- Gmail account
- smart phone
- laptop/desktop (Windows/IOS)
- Google Chrome browser
Benefits of the project
- Scholarship of € 2.000 for the period of nine weeks.
- Contribution to the production costs required for creating works collaboratively or individually apt for a digital platform at the end of the residency. The payments will be decided by mutual discussions with the respective responsible organisations and will be subjected to mutual approval.
Applications can only be submitted digitally by email in English.
- Detailed CV
- Information on previous artistic projects (publications, exhibitions, performances. concerts…) in a PDF format not exceeding more than five pages.
- Letter of intent for applying for the Indo-European Residency Project Kolkata, including the presentation of artistic objectives and an outline of a specific project (about 250 words)
- All attachments together should not be larger than 2 MB.
- Only complete applications that meet the requirements listed above will be considered.
Closing date for application
Please send your application until 31 July 2021 to both e-mail addresses mentioned below:
Further important datesApplication deadline: 31 July 2021
Declaration of the names of the selected artist: 23 August 2021
Start of the residency: 20 September 2021
End of the residency: 8 December 2021
ContactMrs. Sharmistha Sarker
Newsletter "Residency Programmes"
Back to Residencies Overview