Santiago de Chile: Artist-in-Residence in Cooperation with Foundation Tajamar
Fundación Tajamar offers a residency program for artistic proposals connected with public space, architecture and site specific.
Who: Applications are open to artists with permanent residence in Germany. Showing a genuine interest in the Chilean art scene and willing to engage with the local audience are required.
Section: Architecture, Public Space
Duration: One or two month residency between September and December 2019
We challenge artists to explore and initiate new works, using interactions between art, public space, site specific and architecture taking as inspiration Las Torres de Tajamar, an emblematic housing complex representative of modern architecture in Chile.
In this occasion, the selected artist will hold a one or two month residency between September and December 2019 (there may be flexibility on these dates) at the apartment of Fundación Tajamar, from where the artist will implement and develop an artistic activation/site-specific in the the common spaces of the Torres de Tajamar.
Fundación Tajamar and Goethe Institut will provide accommodations and a support team to help in the development of their work.
During this period, Fundación Tajamar will facilitate a series of studio visits and meetings with artists and professionals involved in the Chilean contemporary arts scene in order to generate new connections and knowledge.
About Fundación TajamarFundación Tajamar is a non-profit organization established in December 2012, it was created after our project of contemporary art exhibition in the public space, Galería Tajamar. We foster and develop new connections and opportunities with Chilean and internationally visual artists and curators meanwhile creating personal and institutional long term connections.
Our mission is to develop and manage projects related to contemporary art that generates cultural contribution. We do this by supporting the promotion of intergenerationally artists with a relevant speech and unique vision. At the same time, we work to bring art closer to the community, preserving and promoting projects of independent management and we are always on the search on ways to involve new audiences. In order to achieve this, we have the following projects: Galería Tajamar, Tajamar Education Program, Tajamar Scholarship.
Current open call
Duration of ResidencyOne or two months during September 2019 – December 2019
Target AudienceWho should apply? We are looking for artist who are
- based in Germany
- showing consistent work in the public space and site specific
- manifesting a genuine interest in the Chilean art scene
- willing to engage with the local audience presenting the results through a public event
Requirements / Artist Commitments
- Knowledge of Spanish required
- Develop a site specific work with ephemeral characteristics
- Carry out at least two public activities (Presentation and closing of the project)
- Submit a work development text (6000 characters)
BenefitsWhat does the program offer?
Goethe Institut will provide:
- Round-trip airfare to Santiago de Chile
- Budget for production (materials) with the prior approval of the project by the Goethe-Institut Chile and the Tajamar Foundation
- Support for food and local transportation
Fundación Tajamar will provide:
- Free combined live and work studio apartment located in Las Torres de Tajamar (includes water, heat, light, Wi-Fi) in the Apartment Studio of Fundacion Tajamar which is located in Providencia, Santiago de Chile
*The apartment is shared with the Fundación Tajamar team that uses the space to work.
- The support of the team of Fundación Tajamar, which will help in the production of the artistic activation
- Coordination of public activities open to the community linked to our educational program
- Great central location, near to downtown, museums and transportation
Application procedure and DocumentsPlease send your residency application form (e-Mail) to firstname.lastname@example.org including documents as below:
- Cover letter with three key questions written in English or Spanish:
- Why are you interested in visiting Chile?
- What do you hope to achieve while here?
- Specify your preferred time between the month of September and mid-December (with a maximum of 2 months).
- *max 500 words per question or section
- A proposal for an artistic activation/site specific
- CV (curriculum vitae - max three pages)
- Supporting documentation: One or two maximum selected projects
Closing date for applicationsPlease send your residency application form up to April, 12th 2019 email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application.
For inquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter "Residency Programmes"
Back to Residencies Overview