German Online learning
Learn German Online – anywhere, anytime and as part of a group!
The Goethe-Institut’s GERMAN ONLINE group course allows you to align your German studies with your time schedule, no matter where you are. However, you will not be learning alone, but in a small group of participants between six and 16. The course will introduce you to the German language on the basis of everyday situations, and you will practice your German skills in various ways. Minimum age of participants: 18 years old.
- Two tutors will coach you throughout the course; they will regularly provide feedback and individual learning tips. Our tutors are qualified teachers and you can reach them via a forum on the learning platform in case you have questions.
- You will work with an interactive learning programme. You will practice reading, writing, speaking and listening to the German language using professional study materials and the latest learning methods. You will cooperate with the other course participants on various group exercises on the Goethe-Institut’s learning platform.
- Up to eight online live group sessions will provide the opportunity to speak with your tutors, to interact with the other students on your course and to practice your speaking skills.
- The course duration of a maximum of four months enables you to learn intensively. Subsequently, you will be well prepared to acquire an internationally recognised Goethe-Zertifikat.
- The international mixture of the group adds intercultural exchange to the course and diversifies the learning experience.
You can book the online group course at the following levels:
- A1 (complete level)
- A2 (complete level)
- B1 (complete level)
- Mac, iPad, Tablet, PC or Laptop
- Headset with microphone
- Stable internet connection, when using Wi-Fi with sufficient bandwidth, specifically for the virtual live sessions
Speed-test for Deutsch online
No previous knowledge is required for courses at levels A1 and A1.1. Interested parties in higher levels, who have not learned German at the Goethe-Institut or did so more than six months ago will be individually tested by us.
Online placement test
Our written placement test can be carried out online with password protection. To apply for it, please contact:
We will email you a password that is only for you, along with a link to the online test. You can only use your personal password once. The results are automatically sent to us for evaluation. Our language course office will then contact you promptly by email or phone and arrange an appointment for the oral placement with you. The oral placement test takes place by telephone. Our language course office will then notify you of your placement result by email.
A course lasting 16 weeks requires the investment of approx. 100 hours; this is equivalent to about 6-7 hours per week. A course lasting eight weeks reduces the total investment of time to about 50 hours.
Eight virtual live sessions within a course of 16 weeks, or four virtual live sessions within a course of eight weeks, are scheduled at fixed dates and times. Apart from that, the course participants can schedule their study times individually. However, a certain amount of self-discipline and regular studying is required to complete the tasks successfully, to benefit from the questions and answers in the forum, to revise certain content within a particular time period, where necessary, and to prepare the virtual live sessions in a proper way.
STRUCTURE OF THE COURSE
The course combines various teaching methods:
- Independent study with the learning software (virtual teaching material): This comprises the content of the respective course level; provides automatic feedback. Asynchronous group exercises on the Goethe-Institut’s learning platform: The exercises improve knowledge of German cultural themes, the participants complete the tasks in groups without having to be online at the same time.
- Tutors monitor the progress on the learning software, provide regular additional feedback and can add further exercise material.
Assignments: A short text will be prepared each week which will be marked by the tutor in order to practice from the beginning writing emails or other short messages. The suggested topics are based on the topics on the learning software and the virtual live sessions. The marks by the tutor provide personal feedback related to the learning progress, with plenty of tips and explanations.
- Synchronous live sessions in Adobe to amplify the content of the various exercises. These live sessions are an ideal opportunity to apply the language from the first week onwards in regard to the oral communication between participants and tutors. There are eight sessions in total (on 16 week courses), or four sessions (on eight week courses), where the simultaneous presence of all participants is required. These sessions will be held in the mornings or at weekends and the tutor will communicate the dates at the beginning of the course.
There will be an introductory session in the first week in order to provide all necessary information about the course and to get to know the learning software and the learning platform. The following sessions will focus on practicing oral expression in short dialogues, on exploring the main grammar structures and on addressing German regional and cultural topics.
Furthermore, participants can opt to register for the Goethe-Zertifikat; this exam is subject to charges and not included in the scope of benefits of the online group courses.