Conversations on Performance
May 29 to June 6, 2023
Young theatre and dance artists based in Germany and aged 25 to 35 : directors, playwrights, choreographers, performers, designers and anyone with a performing arts practice.
Conversations on Performance
Conversations on Performance is an international 9-day seminar taking place from May 29 to June 6, 2023 as part of the 17th edition of Festival TransAmériques (May 24 to June 8, 2023 in Montreal / Tio'tia:ke, Canada).
Open to a maximum of twenty young professional artists and critics aged 25 to 35, this project takes the form of a seminar held in English and based on eight shows presented during FTA, with workshops and conversations with the Festival’s artists and the wider arts community in Montreal / Tio'tia:ke. Participants are encouraged to expand their ideas about contemporary theatre and dance, confront their artistic realities and critical thinking, and to share their expertise with their peers. A cultural project coordinator will serve as a consultant during the project.
For its third edition, Conversations on Performance will be open to English-speaking artists from outside of Canada for the first time!
- Encouraging emerging artistic practices by circulating ideas and intermingling disciplines and diverse creative contexts;
- Enriching the professional and artistic approach of participants by discovering the practice of other artists, as well as contemporary dance and theatre performances from Canada and elsewhere;
- Stimulating contact with other artists and critics, and the sharing of ideas.
One of North America’s most distinctive performing arts festivals, Festival TransAmériques is a driving force for the promotion of contemporary theatre and dance. FTA delves deep into artistic disciplines, probing their limits in its quest for bold, outstanding artistic voices. Its policy is a pact with the present: it provides essential support to artists by presenting and co-producing contemporary theatre and dance. Featuring shows from all over the world, FTA mirrors political and social movements of our era, as echoed in works of art that reinterpret the world we live in, that shed a new light on our times.
- At least two years of professional experience as a theatre or dance artist, or a critic in the performing arts
- Good spoken English
- Age range: between 25 and 35
Special attention will be given to candidates who have demonstrated over the course of their short careers a desire to reflect in depth about their chosen art form and to further advance that particular discipline.
- During 9 days, from 10 am to 10:30 pm
- 8 FTA shows
- Discussions on FTA shows and related topics with an emphasis on critical analysis
- In-depth conversations with FTA artists
- Visits of cultural venues and arts institutions
- Optional additional shows outside the FTA program
- Conversations on Performance is a demanding seminar that implies an intense daily schedule. Participants must demonstrate engagement and commitment.
- Flight Germany – Montreal - Germany
- Accommodation in an aparthotel in Montreal
- Tickets for the 8 FTA shows
- Per diem non-included
Every submission requires the following:
- Cover letter (1 page) providing answers to the following questions:
- What is your motivation to participate in Conversations on Performance?
- What will you bring to the program, and how will you benefit from it?
- How is your work informed by the privileges you have or by the artistic, social or political issues you want bring forward?
- Resume – please include your age
Please send your application at the latest on January 30, 2023 at firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection will be made by February 17, 2023.
Tél. : 514-499-0159 poste 107