... that the oldest family business in Ottawa is a German chocolate factory?
Many German immigrants from Quebec and Nova Scotia moved to Ontario during the 19th century. The largest German migration wave occurred after the American independence wars, when German immigrants from the United States crossed over to Canada. Ottawa's cityscape is influenced by German architect Werner Ernst Noffke. The German Nobel Prize winner Gerhard Herzberg, who came to Ottawa in 1948, also left his mark. Even a piece of the Berlin Wall and German chocolate have managed to find their way into the Canadian capital.
On June 19th, 2012, a plaque was unveiled honouring the Clemow Estate East, which has been listed as a protected building since 2011. The plaque can be found by Patterson Creek in the park near Clemow Avenue, and it commemorates W. E. Noffke, who was commissioned to build 10 houses here in the 1920s.
In 1989, master confectioner Heinrich Stubbe opened a small store in the heart of Ottawa, relocating the family business to Canada. Founded in 1845 by his great-grandfather Johannes Heinrich Petrus Stubbe in Meppen, Lower Saxony, Stubbe Chocolates is the oldest family business in the Ottawa area.
A piece of the Berlin Wall decorated with graffiti was originally on display in the Government Conference Centre in Ottawa. This offering from the German government is meant as a token to commemorate the role this location played in German reunification.
Gerhard Herzberg was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1971 for his work on the electronic structure of molecules. In addition, he was the dean of Carleton University from 1973 to 1980, and the university’s physics building - Herzberg Laboratories - carries his name.
Waupoos is located on the eastern end of the picturesque Prince Edward County peninsula in Lake Ontario. More than 200 years ago, the then-undeveloped region around Waupoos was settled by pioneers of German descent. Today, the delicious wines from Prince Edward County are an insider tip amongst wine lovers.
The cemetery lying atop the hills is still and silent. It was founded in 1873 and has been the National Cemetery for the Canadian Forces since 1944. In 2000, it was designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.