...that the spectacular "Château Frontenac" in Québec-City has a connection to the German-speaking world?
During the American Revolution at the end of the 18th century, approximately 100 German mercenary soldiers and doctors were sent to Québec by the British. These Germans and their descendants left their mark in the city, which can be seen to this day, for example at the cemetery of Saint-Matthews Church. Taking some detours one can discover the links between Germany and the emblematic "Château Frontenac".
The Château Frontenac is without a doubt one of the architectural monuments most symbolic of Quebec City. The château, whose construction started in 1893, is actually part of the city’s later history. There was another château that stood on the same spot earlier: the Château Haldimand.
At the end of the 18th century, the province of Quebec was a colony of Great Britain. Britain’s dominant position across the continent lasted until 1775, the beginning of the American War of Independence. When their military resources were exhausted, the British authorities had to hire German mercenaries to bolster their forces.
George Pozer was one of the most important businessmen in Quebec City at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th century. He is a prominent figure in the city’s history, not only because of his enormous fortune.
During the American War of Independence (1775-1783), the Landgraviate of Hesse-Kassel, the Principality of Wolfenbüttel, the Electorate of Hanover, Saxony-Anhalt, and other regions in present-day German rented soldiers to the British on subsidiary contracts.
The enormous painting “Cyclorama de Jérusalem” in Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré shows the crucifixion of Christ. The little town of Sainte-Anne is located around 30 km east of Quebec City on the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River, and is best known for its basilica.
Saint-Romuald (population ca. 11,700) lies on the south bank of the Saint Lawrence River, opposite Quebec City and not far from the two bridges “Pont de Québec” and “Pont Pierre-Laporte”. Saint-Romuald has been one of Lévis’ 10 boroughs since 2002.