Back to Goethe-Zertifikat B2
Piece by piece: the exam sections
The Goethe-Zertifikat B2 exam consists of reading, listening, writing and speaking sections. The speaking section of the exam is completed in pairs or individually.
The exam is administered and evaluated uniformly all over the world.
You will be asked to read a number of different texts, such as advertisements, catalog entries, excerpts from reference books, commentaries, reviews and reports, and complete exercises on these texts. You will also be required to fill in the missing words in a written text.Duration: 80 minutes
You will be asked to comment on a newspaper report or short online article and correct a letter.Duration: 80 minutes
You will be asked to listen to discussions and telephone conversations, correct or complete what you have heard and categorise statements. You will also be required to listen to an interview on a current social topic and complete exercises on it.
Duration: approx. 30 minutes
During the first part of the exam, you will be asked to express your opinion on a short text. You will then enter into a discussion with your conversation partner in which you come to a joint decision on a specific matter or find a solution to a problem.
Duration: 10 or 15 minutes
RequirementsThe Goethe-Zertifikat B2 is a German exam for adults.
The Goethe-Institut exams are available to all interested parties and can be taken regardless of age and nationality.
- A minimum age of 16 years is recommended to take the Goethe-Zertifikat B2 exam.
- Participation in the Goethe-Zertifikat B2 exam assumes that candidates already have German language skills corresponding to the fourth level of competence (B2) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- To reach this level, candidates need to have completed between 600 and 800 teaching units of 45 minutes each, depending on their previous knowledge and learning requirements.
What else is important to know?
- Exam guidelines (PDF, 337 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the exam administration (PDF, 338 KB)
- Supplement to the Terms and Conditions for Exam Administration: Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 228 KB)
- Information for Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 57 KB)
- Examinations goals and test description booklet (PDF, 923 KB)