Back to Goethe-Zertifikat C1
Everything included! The exam sections
The Goethe-Zertifikat C1 exam consists of reading, listening, writing and speaking sections. The speaking section of the exam is completed in pairs or individually. The exam is administered and evaluated uniformly all over the world.
You will be asked to read excerpts from reference books, commentaries, reviews and/or reports and complete exercises on these texts (e.g. producing summaries of parts of them) which demonstrate that you can manage with longer texts.
Duration: 70 minutes
You will be required to write a well-structured, detailed text on a topic about which you have been given information in the form of a diagram.Duration: 80 minutes
You will be asked to listen to discussions, telephone conversations, interviews or radio reports, make notes on what you hear and categorise statements.
Duration: approx. 40 minutes
During the first part of the exam, you will be asked to express your opinion on a short text. You will then enter into a discussion with your conversation partner in which you come to a joint decision on a specific matter or find a solution to a problem.
Duration: 10 or 15 minutes
RequirementsThe Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is a German exam for adults.
The Goethe-Institut exams are available to all interested parties and can be taken regardless of age and nationality.
- A minimum age of 16 years is recommended to take the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 exam.
- Participation in the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 exam assumes that candidates already have German language skills corresponding to the fifth level of competence (C1) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- To reach this level, candidates need to have completed between 800 and 1,000 teaching units of 45 minutes each, depending on their previous knowledge and learning requirements.
What else is important to know?
- Exam guidelines (PDF, 337 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the exam administration(PDF, 338 KB)
- Supplement to the Terms and Conditions for Exam Administration: Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 228 KB)
- Information for Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 57 KB)
- Examinations goals and test description booklet (PDF, 1 MB)