New for 2019The Goethe-Zertifikat B2 was revised. You can be examined in the new modular Goethe-Zertifikat B2 from 2019. Selected examination centres are offering the exam from 01.01.2019, all remaining centres worldwide from 01.08.2019. Please contact your local exam centre for more detailed information.
You will find resources and information relating to the exam under “Practice materials” and “Further information”.
The Goethe-Zertifikat B2 is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired advanced language skills and corresponds to the fourth level (B2) of the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand the main contents of complex texts on concrete and abstract topics, as well as technical discussions in your own area of specialization,
- communicate so spontaneously and fluently that a normal conversation with native speakers is readily possible without a great deal of effort on either side,
- express your opinion on current issues in a clear and detailed manner, explain your position on a current issue and state the benefits and drawbacks of various options.
- A minimum age of 16 years is recommended to take the Goethe-Zertifikat B2 exam.
- To sit the Goethe-Zertifikat B2 exam, candidates must have German language skills corresponding to the fourth level of competence (B2) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- To reach this level, candidates need to have completed between 600 and 800 45-minute units of teaching, depending on their previous knowledge and learning requirements.
What else is important to know?
- Exam guidelines (PDF, 337 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the exam administration (PDF, 338 KB)
- Supplement to the Terms and Conditions for Exam Administration: Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 228 KB)
- Information for Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 57 KB)
- Manual Examination goals and test description (PDF, 923 KB)