OPEN CALL International Tajamar Residency Program
Galería Tajamar, space for artistic proposals, critical dialogues, diverse perspectives, and multidisciplinary learning, offers the opportunity to convert your own projects including the community.
In cooperation with the Goethe-Institut Chile Tajamar Foundation offers a multidisciplinary art residence program for artists and/or cultural agents. The program seeks to generate connections between Art, Public Space and Community. The object of the residence is the implementation of an artistic activation on a (in a) representative residential complex of modern architecture “Las Torres de Tajamar” developed in Chile in the mid 60’s. In this occasion, the selected artist or cultural agent will hold a one-month residence between July 15 and August 26 (there may be flexibility in these dates depending on the proposal) at the Tajamar Foundation. The resident will implement an artistic activation, involving the community of the Tajamar Towers, the common spaces of the housing complex, and the Tajamar Gallery.
The selected artist or cultural agent will participate in this one month residence program that will provide time, space, accommodations, and a support team to help in the development of the program. During this period, Fundación Tajamar facilitates a series of studio visits and meetings with artists and professionals involved in the Chilean contemporary arts sector, in order to generate new connections and knowledge.
Fundación TajamarFundación Tajamar is a non-profit organization established in December 2012. It was created after our project of contemporary art exhibition in the public space, Galería Tajamar. We foster and develop new connections andopportunities with Chilean and international visual artists and curators while creating personal and institutional long-term connections.
Our mission is to develop and manage projects related to contemporary art that generate cultural contribution. We do this by supporting the promotion of intergenerational artists of different generations and a unique vision. At the same time, we work to bring art closer to the community, preserving and promoting projects of indepen- dentmanagement. We are always on the search for ways to involve new audiences. Therefore, we have initiated the following projects: Galería Tajamar, Tajamar Education Program, Tajamar Scholarship.
Galería TajamarGalería Tajamar is an exhibition space founded on April 16th, 2011. It is located in the central square of the Torres de Tajamar in the district of Providencia, Santiago, a legacy landmark of modern architecture in Chile.
The main quality of the space is its architecture, a completely glazed hexagonal construction. This way, one can see the artwork from all perspectives, 24hours a day without entering the building.
The Gallery is conceived as a space for the public domain, accessible to all. The artwork presented here establishes a dialogue with the viewer in a similar way as that established by other public works of art, but this time, protec- ted by a gallery that allows the participation of different artists.
During the 7 years of its existence, Galería Tajamar has realized over 70 exhibitions with national and international artists, positioning itself as a cultural reference in the local artistic scene.
What does the program offer?We will provide:
- Round-trip airfare to Santiago de Chile.
- Free combined live and work studio apartment located in Las Torres de Tajamar (includes water, heating, light, Wi-Fi) in the Apartment Studio of Fundación Tajamar which is located in Providencia, Santiago.
- Support of the team of Fundación Tajamar, which will help in the production of the artistic activation.
- A public exhibition space, Galería Tajamar, which is available as an exhibition space or as a lab for the program.
- Coordination of public activities, open to the community linked to our educational program.
- Great central location, close to the city center, museums and transport.
- Support for food and local transport (ca. US $33 daily).
- Assistance available in English and Spanish
Who should apply?We are looking for artist and cultural agents who are:
- From Germany and have already some knowledge of Spanish
- Showing consistent work with the community
- Manifesting a genuine interest in the Chilean art scene
- Willing to engage with the local audience presenting the results through a public event
- Please send your residence application form to email@example.com
- Cover letter with three key questions written in English or Spanish: Why are you interested in visiting Chile? What do you hope to achieve during your stay? Specify your preferred time frame (max. 500 words per question or section).
- A proposal for an artistic activation in the urban space in cooperation with the community. Written in Spanish.
- CV (max. three pages)
- Presentation of older projects/works: one or maximum two selected projects.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.
In case of further questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates 201812th March – opening of the call for application
8th of April – closing of the call for application at 24:00 CET
20th of April – publication of the winner
May – coordination of the residence
Between July 15 and August 26 (there may be flexibility in these dates depending on the proposal)