What is a Wikithon?
“Wikithon” (based on Hackathon, an event in which computer programmers and others collaborate intensively on software projects) is an event in which content owners, community of practice members and others collaborate intensively on creating wiki content. Wikipedia usually calls this an “editathon”.
Edit-a-thons improve the encyclopedia and can be a great way to help new Wikipedians learn to edit. On the occasion of the first edition of Wikithon Cameroon, which is scheduled to take place on the 25 July, in partnership with the Goethe-Institut Kamerun, interested participants (techies, bloggers, geeks, journalists, sympathizers, new & experienced wiki editors, coders, writers etc) are called.
Theme: Space and Place in Cameroon
Cameroon is made up of space and place. This space is full of unique places which each have a particular history. Filled with forests, mountains, rivers, villages, town, savannahs, lakes, monuments and shores, this mixture calls for a better description.
GeoNames.org consist of more than 22.000 named locations in Cameroon. Only few of them have a Wikipedia entry, and these aren’t perfect. The challenge is to create as well as edit content related to place and space in Cameroon, and the most outstanding content-creator will receive a prize.
Those who are not present will be able to follow the evolution of the event online via the hashtag: #WikithonCameroon
Possible articles to be created
- List of rivers in Camerooon
- List of mountains in Cameroon
- List of historic Landmarks in Cameroon
- List of historic sites in Cameroun
- List of natural landmarks in Cameroon
Possible articles to edit
Below is a list of articles that would benefit from edits and expansion during the edit-a-thon.
- Musée des Civilisations du Cameroun à Dschang
- Liste des fleuves du Cameorun
- Liste des montagnes du Cameroun
- Liste des monuments historiques au Cameroun
- Liste des sites historiques au Cameroun
- Liste des Points de repère naturels au Cameroun