Cultures in Contact – Artists in Residence
Target group: Writers
Organizers: Goethe-Institut China, German-Chinese Institute for Intercultural German Studies and Culture Comparison at the University of Göttingen, German Studies Department at Nanjing University
Project descriptionThe Goethe-Institut China is running a residency programme in 2017 called “Cultures in Contact – Artists in Residence” in association with the German-Chinese Institute for Intercultural German Studies and Culture Comparison at the University of Göttingen and the German Studies Department at Nanjing University. The programme enables a Chinese writer and a German writer to immerse themselves in each other’s culture for two months. Each writer-in-residence has an opportunity to get to know the host country’s cultural scene and draw inspiration for their own literary work from a foreign environment. Furthermore, they will meet with local creative writers and students to discuss prospects for German-Chinese intercultural communication.
So far, Nanjing has hosted the following German writers-in-residence: Hauke Hückstädt, Nora Bossong, Svealena Kutschke, Kai Weyand, Jörg Menke-Peitzmeyer, Isabel Bogdan, Nina Bussmann, Ulrike Syha and Lea Schneider.
And the following Nanjing authors have been writers-in-residence in Göttingen to date: Ye Zhaoyan, Wei Xidi, Lu Min, Han Dong, Cao Kou, Bi Feiyu, Huang Fan, Na Yu and Hou Pei.
We are now welcoming applications for 2017.
Application deadlineFor Chinese applicants: 15 March 2017
For German applicants: 15 June 2017
Residency period and locationFor Chinese applicants: two months in Göttingen, Germany, 1 May – 1 July 2017
For German applicants: two months in Nanjing, China, 8 October – 8 December 2017
Eligibility requirementsThis residency programme is for Chinese writers based in Nanjing / Jiangsu and German writers based in Germany.You are
- A writer with at least one published work to date.
- Interested in the host country’s culture and in exchanging with creative writers and cultural mediators there.
- Willing to take part in one or two public events in the host country.
- Willing to hold seminars for local students in the German studies department on the subjects of your country’s literary scene and your own writing. This applies in particular to German writers-in-residence, who agree to teach four hours a week in Nanjing University’s German Studies Department during your first month in Nanjing. The specific subjects to be taught will be discussed in advance with your local partners. There are no teaching obligations during the second month of residency.
- Willing to write articles for the websites of the Goethe-Institut and the residency programme.
- Cover your round-trip travel expenses (international flights, economy class).
- Cover your visa fees.
- Provide you with free use of an apartment in Nanjing or Göttingen for two months.
- Pay you a cost-of-living allowance of € 800 per month.
- Put you in touch with creative people and cultural institutions relevant to your project proposal.
Required application documents
- Informative personal statement: On two pages at most, tell us your motivation for taking part in the programme and describe the project you intend to carry out or work on during your stay in the host country.
- CV: Information about your education, a summary of your literary career to date and complete contact information.Samples of your work: At least one literary work (to be sent in digital form) as a sample of your writing.
Chinese applicants, please apply in Chinese and English.
German applicants, please apply in German and English.
ApplicationPlease e-mail your application in the form of PDF files to the corresponding contact below. Altogether, the total size of the files should not exceed 10 MB.
Contact for German applicants:Ms Barbara Dengel
Contact for Chinese applicants:Ms Xu Yangyang