German online group course
Learn German Online – anywhere, anytime and as part of a group!
The Goethe-Institut’s GERMAN ONLINE group course allows you to align your German studies with your time schedule, no matter where you are. However, you will not be learning alone but in a small group of between six and 15 participants. The course will introduce you to the German language on the basis of everyday situations, and you will practice your German skills in various ways. Minimum age of participants: 18 years.
The GERMAN ONLINE group course is available for the levels A1-1, A1-2, A2-1 and A2-2. This course model will help you to achieve your desired learning progress within a short period of time:
- Two tutors will coach you throughout the course; they will regularly provide feedback and individual learning tips. Our tutors are qualified teachers and you can reach them via a forum on the learning platform in case you have questions.
- You will work with an interactive learning programme. You will practice reading, writing, speaking and listening to the German language using professional study materials and the latest learning methods. You will cooperate with the other course participants on various group exercises on the Goethe-Institut’s learning platform.
- Up to four online live group sessions will provide the opportunity to speak with your tutors, to interact with the other students on your course and to practice your speaking skills.
- The course duration of a maximum of three months enables you to learn intensively. Subsequently, you will be well prepared to acquire an internationally recognised Goethe-Zertifikat.
- The international mixture of the group adds intercultural exchange to the course and diversifies the learning experience.
As a customer of the Goethe-Institut you gain free access to our eLibrary (Onleihe). Furthermore, the Goethe-Institut provides a number of applications free of charge, e.g. our community platform Deutsch-für-Dich where you can practice your German with Goethe students worldwide, as well as access numerous apps and games.
You can book the online group course at the following levels:
- A1-1 (half level)
- A1-2 (half level)
- A2-1 (half level)
- A2-2 (half level)
After completion of the course you will receive a certificate of attendance from the Goethe-Institut.
- Mac, PC or Laptop. We recommend that you do not use tablets, iPads, smartphones or other mobile devices for this course.
- Headphones with microphone. A camera does not have to be, but it is an advantage and makes the lessons livelier.
- Stable internet connection, in case of Wi-Fi with sufficient bandwidth, specifically for the virtual live sessions
The courses at level A1-1 do not require any previous knowledge. If you are interested in a course at a higher level and you have not yet studied German at a Goethe-Institut, or your last course at a Goethe-Institut finished over six months ago, we will place you individually.
ONLINE PLACEMENT TEST
Our written placement test can be completed online, protected by a password. Please write to:
We will email you the link to the online placement test together with a password which is only to be used by yourself. You can use your personal password only once. The results will be transferred to us for evaluation automatically.
A course lasting 12 weeks requires the investment of approx. 60–70 hours, this is equivalent to five to six hours per week.
Four virtual live sessions within a course of twelve weeks, are scheduled at fixed dates and times. Apart from that, the course participants can schedule their study times individually. However, a certain amount of self-discipline and regular studying is required to complete the tasks successfully, to benefit from the questions and answers in the forum, to revise certain content within a particular time period, where necessary, and to prepare the virtual live sessions in a proper way.
STRUCTURE OF THE COURSE
The course combines various teaching methods:
- Independent study with the learning software (virtual teaching material); This comprises the content of the respective course level; provides automatic feedback.
Asynchronous group exercises n the Goethe-Institut’s learning platform: The exercises improve knowledge of German cultural themes, the participants complete the tasks in groups without having to be online at the same time.
- Tutors monitor the progress on the learning software, provide regular additional feedback and can add further exercise material.
Assignments: A short text will be prepared each week which will be marked by the tutor in order to practice from the beginning writing emails or other short messages. The suggested topics are based on the topics on the learning software and the virtual live sessions. The marks by the tutor provide personal feedback related to the learning progress, with plenty of tips and explanations.
- Synchronous live sessions in Adobe to amplify the content of the various exercises. These live sessions are an ideal opportunity to apply the language from the first week onwards in regard to the oral communication between participants and tutors. There are four sessions (on twelve week courses), where the simultaneous presence of all participants is required. These sessions will be held on Saturday mornings.
There will be an introductory session in the first week in order to provide all necessary information about the course and to get to know the learning software and the learning platform. The following sessions will focus on practicing oral expression in short dialogues, on exploring the main grammar structures and on addressing German regional and cultural topics.
Participants will receive a certificate of attendance if they have completed 70 percent of the content on the learning software, if they have participated in 75 percent of the virtual live sessions, and if they have completed the written tasks on the learning platform.
Furthermore, participants can opt to register for the Goethe-Zertifikat; this exam is subject to charges and not included in the scope of benefits of the online group courses.
Test Deutsch Online for free
Our online course range "Deutsch Online" for levels A1-A2 is just right for you! You can learn at your own speed with interesting exercises developed by experts, which build on one another in a step-by-step approach. We offer a varied programme for both beginners and advanced students. What are you waiting for?Try it now for free!
Course datesSummer online group course