German for Architects
German for Architects
A course providing architects with the specialized language skills and professional knowledge they need to work at German architectural firms and on construction sites.
This continuing education program, offered by the Goethe-Institut Munich, was developed in cooperation with the Continuing Education Academy of the Bavarian Chamber of Architects. It is intended for working architects and graduates in architecture from around the world who want to acquire German language skills in preparation for work at a German firm. The goal of the course is to improve participants' communication skills for discussions with colleagues, property owners, parties to planning processes and litigation, public authorities and institutions as well as contractors and tradespeople. They are also familiarized with all aspects of the planning, bidding and contracting processes and the way things are done on German construction sites.
In the Goethe-Institut course, which covers language skills as well as professional knowledge, participants learn about the basics of planning organization, legal and regulatory requirements, professional tasks and duties, the scope and contents of services, fee structures, liability and insurance as well as communication from the planning process right through to construction and final sign-off. This includes, among other aspects: special architectural terminology, structure of the German planning system (planning and zoning law, building codes, laws, standards and guidelines), scope and contents of services, the design and implementation processes, dealing with disruptions and obstacles, negotiations and written documentation.
- Intensive language training
- The course consists of three modules. In the third module the participants prepare for the C1 exam. The exam is not part of the course.
- Placement test
- Ongoing evaluation of progress and systematic advice on your individual learning path
- Participation certificate
- Opportunity to take an exam
- All course materials
- Individual learning in the media resource center
- Trainers: Qualified Goethe-Institut teacher / Oliver Heiss, architect and urban planner, Munich / additional expert speakers when appropriate
- Course fee: EUR 815.00
- Language level B2 completed
- Completed architecture degree
- Professional accreditation in home country