German Blended Learning
At a glance
- Course duration: 5 or 10 weeks
- Scope: 40 hours of lessons (45 minutes each) in total, 50% in-person sessions and 50% online learning
- Procedure: 8 hours of lessons a week (45 minutes each) or 4 hours of lessons a week (45 minutes each), 50% in-person sessions at your Goethe-Institut and 50% online learning with teacher support
- Levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1
- In each case, you will be completing a sub-level that forms part of a full level. You will be assigned to your sub-level based on the free placement test.
- Maximum number of participants: 16
How does the German Blended Learning course work?
- The German Blended Learning course is available as a 10-week or 5-week course, both of which include 40 hours of lessons (each lesson lasting 45 minutes).
- In the 10-week German Blended Learning course, you complete the 40 hours of lessons within 10 weeks, learning German for 4 hours a week. This translates into 2 hours of in-person lessons at your Goethe-Institut and 2 hours of lessons for you to work through independently on our online learning platform. During the online stages, you can choose your own learning hours and study location.
- In the 5-week German Blended Learning course, you complete the 40 hours of lessons within 5 weeks, learning German for 8 hours a week. This translates into 4 hours of in-person lessons at your Goethe-Institut and 4 hours of lessons for you to work through independently on our online learning platform. During the online stages, you can choose your own learning hours and study location.
- Once you have decided whether to take 10-week or 5-week option, you can book the German Blended Learning course that works best for you at your desired date and location. After payment has been received, you will be sent a link and a code, which you can use to log in. Then you can get started with the free placement test.
- You will be assigned to the appropriate course group based on your results, before completing a sub-level that forms part of a full level.
- On the course, you will work on improving your German proficiency across the board, honing your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills with the help of professional, multimedia exercise materials and state-of-the-art learning methods.
- During the online stages, you will work on the Goethe-Institut’s interactive learning platform from your computer or tablet, completing a diverse range of exercises that will keep you motivated throughout the process. Most of the online activities are to be completed individually, although some will be interactive group activities – for instance, working on smaller texts about your hobbies, interests or upcoming events. This will also involve taking part in group discussions and commenting on your coursemates’ texts.
- This online section of the course also includes summaries of all the important grammatical structures and useful phrases you will learn during the course.
- You will prepare for the online tasks during the weekly face-to-face sessions, in which you will meet with your teacher and coursemates in person.
- During the face-to-face stages, you will work on new course content and take part in group exercises to practice the material you have worked on during the online stages. The focus here will primarily be on improving your speaking skills.
- You will receive individual support from your teacher throughout the course. They will also be there to help during the online stages, checking the writing and speaking tasks you submit on the learning platform, reviewing your learning progress and giving you regular feedback. Your teacher will also be available to answer questions about the course content – for instance, about specific exercises or cultural topics – and will be happy, where possible, to go into further detail about vocabulary and grammar questions. In addition, your teacher will give you guidance when group exercises are set (e.g. for group discussions on the forum).
- Email address
- Operating system: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
- Browser: latest version of Google Chrome (on all operating systems)
- Our tip: We advise against using smartphones for this course, as it is more convenient to use devices with larger screens for most of the exercises, such as longer reading texts.
The German Blended Learning course is suitable for all people learning German who have a busy schedule but still want to enjoy the benefits of face-to-face learning.
Dr Imke Mohr, Head of Language Work Department, Goethe-Institute in Germany
Levels German Blended Learning
According to the Common European Framework of Reference for languages
The number of lessons that are usually required to reach a certain level and take the corresponding Goethe certificate are based on experience. Individual aspects such as language learning experience and native language also play an important role. We will grade you before the start of the course in order to ensure optimal learning success.
FAQ – Frequently asked questions
Blended learning is a method that provides a useful combination of online learning and in-person classes. The teachers from the face-to-face sessions will also assist you with the online learning units as you work through our German Blended Learning courses.Click here to book your place on a German Blended Learning course.
The scope and content of the German Blended Learning course are the same as the German Online group course. The difference between the two is that the face-to-face lessons during the German Blended Learning course take place in person at the Goethe-Institut, whereas these are held as live online sessions during the German Online group course.
The German in the Evening course is an exclusively face-to-face course, in which all the lessons are to be attended in person at the Goethe-Institut.
The German Blended Learning is available at levels A1, A2, B1, B2 and C1. On each course, you will complete a sub-level that forms part of a full level. Our free placement test will determine which course level is the right one for you.
Click here to book your place on a German Blended Learning course.