Accommodation, leisure and more
In addition to the language course, we offer other services such as accommodation, meals, a leisure program, help with tandem learning exchanges and much more.
All courses include
- Placement test at beginning of course
- All course materials
- Systematic advice on each student's individual learning path
- Use of the media resource center (multimedia self-learning center)
- Organisation of an accompanied leisure-time and cultural program, including tours, events and excursions
- Suggestions for cultural, leisure-time and sporting activities and for participants' individual interests
- Graded participation certificate
- Opportunity to take an exam
- No enrollment fee
We will be happy to arrange accommodation for you:
- Depending on the course location, we offer single or twin-bed rooms in our guesthouses or student hostels. Most locations also offer apartments and rooms in shared apartments or homestay situations.
- We will also be happy to book you a hotel room.
- At some institutes we offer breakfast and/or lunch on course days.
Accommodation – as you like it
We offer single or double rooms at our guesthouses, in student hostels or in homestay arrangements.
The Goethe-Institut guesthouses have basic furnishings and facilities:
- rooms with WC/shower or
- rooms with WC/showers on the same floor
- shared kitchens for self-catering
- television room
- washing machines
- bed linen and towels are provided.
At most locations we can offer shared or one-room apartments. We will also be happy to recommend a hotel if you wish (prices available on request). Just let us know your preferences when you book your course. The earlier you book, the better the chances that we will find the accommodation of your choice.
The Goethe-Instituts in Bonn, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Göttingen and Munich offer a limited number of apartments with their own kitchen and bathroom. Please contact the institute directly to enquire.
Additional comments and informationAll courses include
You will receive fresh bed linen and towels when you check in and at regular intervals. The costs for electricity, water and heating are included in the accommodation price.
Free wireless Internet access is available in the rooms of the Goethe-Institut.
The guesthouses have Internet access and/or WLAN available. You will need your own laptop or other wireless device. Access is free of charge (with the exception of the apartment house in Frankfurt-Sachsenhausen).
For legal reasons, our homestay hosts are unable to provide Internet or WLAN access. However, you can obtain a prepaid USB dongle from a mobile telephone service provider on presentation of ID. We'll be happy to provide you with information on terms and prices in advance.
In addition, many cafés and restaurants provide free wireless access.
The user is liable for the legality of data uploads and downloads.
Washing machines and dryers are available in the guesthouses. In homestay situations you may use them by arrangement. Prices in commercial coin laundries: approx. €2–3 per load.
Pets are not allowed on the Goethe-Institut premises or at your accommodation. An exception is made for guide dogs.
Are you expecting visitors, or would you like to travel with your partner? Please contact the Goethe-Institut well in advance to find out whether we can offer accommodation and what options are available.
A security deposit is required for rooms in the guesthouse. This deposit will be returned to you on your departure date provided the room is left in good condition. For detailed information on the security deposit, check the web pages of our institutes.
The furnishings of the guesthouses vary: All rooms are furnished, and some are also equipped with an internet connection and a separate bathroom or shower. In many guesthouses, common rooms or music rooms are available for use.
Wheelchair users: These institutes are accessible to wheelchair users: Dresden, Frankfurt, Mannheim-Heidelberg. Düsseldorf is accessible only to sports wheelchairs.
Blind participants: These institutes are suitable for blind people: Berlin, Bonn, Frankfurt, Mannheim, Schwäbisch-Hall
Prices vary according to the room category and length of stay. Our customer service staff will be happy to discuss the accommodation currently available.
Additional options in the summer months
During the months when our courses take place, we offer additional accommodation options. For information on prices, standards of furnishings and facilities, and the available services, please enquire. We will be happy to provide detailed information in advance.
|Course location / Course type||Breakfast / Lunch|
Intensiv 4, 80 UI,
Approx. 4 weeks
|€ 120 / € 145|
Intensiv 2, 45 UI,
Approx. 2 weeks
|€ 63 / € 77|
German For Over-50s, 40 UI,
Approx. 2 weeks
|€ 70 / € 85|
Intensive 2 - Language and Culture, 50 UI,
Approx. 2 weeks
|€ 70 / € 85|
Leisure-time options every day
During the week we generally offer events and programs every day. Our city walks will help you to find your way around, while special thematic tours provide insights into interesting aspects of local life and history. You will also have the opportunity to visit institutions, companies or universities to learn about the economy, education and society at your location.
Whenever possible – subject to the group’s interests – we will organize sporting activities for you. Depending on the season, you will also be able to attend live sports events.
We offer a wide variety of evening activities, including theater, concerts and festivals. We’ll also be happy to recommend popular clubs and night spots. Our pub nights in authentic local venues are always a big hit with the participants.
We organize weekend daytrips for our participants: On hikes you can explore diverse landscapes and natural surroundings in the region. We’ll also accompany you on trips to castles and sightseeing highlights. On most of these outings you will have the chance to take a tour and enjoy a meal with the group. Our extracurricular programs also include one-day trips to interesting nearby cities.
Your team – always ready to help
We want you to feel at home – right from the first day. The team in charge of the cultural and leisure program at your Goethe-Institut will be happy to help with any everyday problems or questions you may have.
Cultural and leisure program
- Berlin: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 4 MB)
- Bonn: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 168 kB)
- Dresden: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 3 MB)
- Düsseldorf: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 502 kB)
- Göttingen: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 3 MB)
- Frankfurt: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 6 MB)
- Freiburg: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 1 MB)
- Hamburg: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 5 MB)
- Mannheim: Guided cultural and recreational program (PDF, 1 MB)
During the tandem meetings you can alternate between German and your native language while discussing issues and topics of mutual interest. This is an opportunity to get to know Germany and the German people and try out your language skills.