Berliner Theatertreffen: International Forum
Scholarship for theatre makers
The International Forum is a two-week scholarship programme organized by the Berliner Festspiele’s Theatertreffen and sponsors theatre makers from all parts of the world. As a field for creative experimentation and a space for utopian thought, it provides performative and discursive Exchange in an international context and endeavours to open hybrid spaces in which the boundaries between performing arts, visual arts and science become fluid. Engaging in forms of international cooperation is a defining element of this congregation of fellows.
The International Forum will begin on Friday, 1 May 2020, in the afternoon and end on Sunday, 17 May 2020 (day of departure: Monday, 18 May 2020).
Participants get a scholarship.
- introductory lectures by all fellows
- attending performances of the productions invited to the Theatertreffen as well as selected Stückemarkt events
- workshops with artists, experts and researchers
- exclusive artists’ talks and events related to the productions invited to the Theatertreffen, featuring artists involved in these productions
- participation in the discursive programme of the Theatertreffen
- discussions with the Theatertreffen’s directors and members of the jury
- working groups on overarching issues
- exchange with international theatre directors and curators in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut
- audience discussions and opening night parties at the Theatertreffen
- excursions and attendance at additional performances in Berlin
SCHOLARSHIPIn general, the scholarship includes all costs for participation in the programme:
- tickets to Theatertreffen-performances and selected Stückemarkt-events
- travel expenses (full coverage / partial coverage / no coverage – depending on country of origin, most economic travel option)
- expenses for travel within Berlin by public transport
- hotel accommodation incl. breakfast (excluding fellows who are residents in
- per diem (according to the performance agreement, this depends on the country of origin and does not apply to fellows who are residents in Berlin)
APPLICATIONArtists from all parts of the world may apply. They will submit the application via various institutions. The current main location of their work is the determining factor.
- be no older than 35 years
- have several years of independent professional experience
- be working continually in a professional artistic capacity
- be available to participate over the entire period (1 to 17 May 2020)
- have an adequate knowledge of German (at least B2, a proof of German language skills is necessary); exceptions for non-German-speaking participants are possible at the suggestion of a Goethe-Institut
- have a good or very good knowledge of English, because a large part of the events will be held in English
Please send us only digital applications, which have to include the following:
- a filled-in application form
- an artistic curriculum vitae, reviews, links (to visual, sound and text media)
- a portrait photo (minimum size: 300 dpi at approx. 500 KB)
- a letter of recommendation from professionals in the field of theatre/art/culture, or from alumni of the International Forum
- a confirmation of release from the employing theatre or institution for the entire period of the International Forum (this only applies to artists in permanent employment)
- a letter of motivation with written answers to the following questions (max. three A4-pages):
- What do you hope to gain from the exchange at the International Forum and what is the perspective that you will contribute?
- What characterizes your projects or working methods and why would they benefit from international exchange?
- How are socio-political developments reflected in your work?
Artists with a current main location of work outside the German-language countries should apply via the Goethe-Institut responsible for the region of their main location of work.
Applicants from Finland please apply via mail to Goethe-Institut Finnland:
Further information on the application formalities:
Due to the large number of applicants, we regret that we will not be able to send individual notifications of rejection. Please refer to our website berlinerfestspiele.de for the final decision in late February 2020.