moving people & images
Open Call for new students
With a generous grant from the Kone Foundation, the Academy of Moving People & Images has been launched as a fee-free platform in Helsinki for mobile people; those who for a variety of reasons such as immigration, seeking asylum, studies or work have arrived in Finland. The Academy aims to design a new learning model and a sustainable pedagogical platform where people from different backgrounds are able to contribute to the film industry and initiate change. The project will kick off in January of 2019 with an Open Call seeking 12 new participants who will start their intensive workshops in April.
Internationally well-known film director behind the academy AMPI is founded and directed by the internationally recognized and award-winning film director Erol Mintas ; and curated by Elham Rahmati, a visual artist and curator. Both are based in Helsinki.
Internationally well-known film director behind the academy AMPI is founded and directed by the internationally recognized and award-winning film director Erol Mintas and curated by Elham Rahmati, a visual artist and curator. Both are based in Helsinki.
The first open call for new students is until February 28th 2019. Send a motivation letter and a CV in English through the application form. The application can be filled out here.
- A 1 year fee-free intensive and hands-on filmmaking program taught by mobile and Finnish film industry professionals. The program includes a variety of workshops in which the participants will acquire and exchange knowledge about the various tools of filmmaking such as directing, scriptwriting, editing, lighting & cinematography, acting, producing, sound recording & editing, and film & critical theories. You will get familiar with how to work within the film industry in Finland, how to network, how to apply for grants, how to apply for jobs in the industry, etc.
- With the full support of the Academy and its resources, the participants will get to make their own short films under the guidance of mobile filmmakers and Finnish film industry professionals, performing all the essential roles necessary to realise their films. At the moment, the academy can support its participants’ short films by providing the filming equipment and transportation.
- The classes/workshops will take place from April until September 2019 (with the exception of July). After this time we will shift focus into the production of the participants’ short films. The participants will have until the end of December 2019 to finish the production of the films.
- After finishing the year, the participants’ collaboration with the academy will continue in the future in different forms as AMPI alumni.
- The Academy provides wider professional support and access to resources, communities and different networks.
- Open to all mobile residents in Finland in all ages. All mobile residents are welcome to apply regardless of their residence status; temporary or permanent. If you have a Finnish passport or have been raised in Finland but come from a mobile background, you are still eligible to apply. Or if you belong to minorities in Finland such as Sami or Roma people.
- Production experience is not a requisite for getting admitted, but is of course welcome. We encourage everyone from a wide spectrum of backgrounds to apply.
- The language for the academy will be English.
- The academy can host a maximum of 12 participants.
- By applying as part of this open call, you agree to commit to attending at least 80% of the workshops. The workshops will involve a minimum of 18 hours participation per week for 3 weeks per month. The academy’s schedule for each month will be published one month in advance.