New Books in German
Freelance Consultant/Temporary Editor New Books in German
Since 1996, New Books in German has promoted German-language literature in the UK, USA and across the world. The twice-yearly magazine features reviews of the best new books (fiction, non-fiction, children's and young adult) from Austria, Germany and Switzerland, as well as articles on the German-language literary scene. All books that are reviewed are guaranteed funding for translation into English. New Books in German is supported by the Foreign Ministries of Austria, Germany and Switzerland, Pro Helvetia (Arts Council of Switzerland), the Goethe-Institut, the Austrian Cultural Forum in London and the Austrian Federal Chancellery, the German Book Office in New York, the International Projects Department of the Frankfurter Buchmesse and the Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels.
More information on New Books in German: www.new-books-in-german.com
To carry out a strategic review of its operations in the UK and shape its future direction, New Books in German is looking for a creative and enthusiastic freelance consultant who will also be involved in the editing process during the period of the review. Successful delivery to stakeholders could lead to a longer-term editorial role.
This role comprises:
- Preparing at least one concept proposal for New Books in German for presentation to stakeholders at the Frankfurt Book Fair (16-20 October 2019),
- Consulting with stakeholders, UK editors, publishers, and other figures in the London and wider book trade for a strategic review and analysis of New Books in German,
- Acting as main point of contact for inquiries about New Books in German,
- Presenting the strategic review and proposal(s) to stakeholders at the Frankfurter Buchmesse.
- Strategic vision and creativity to take project to next level in the UK,
- Excellent people skills,
- Preferably experience in the UK publishing industry,
- Passion for German-language literature,
- Native speaker level English and fluent German,
- Flexibility and ability to meet deadlines,
- Willing to travel to meet partners, stakeholders and publishers,
- Good IT office skills,
- Must be available during New Books in German Steering Committee Meeting in London (half a day between 1-3 July) and the Frankfurter Buchmesse (16-20 October 2019).
- A fee of £6,800 pre-tax is offered for the implementation of specified tasks
- Agreed expenses for rail and air travel, taxis, hotel accommodation in Frankfurt will be reimbursed.
- Occasional other expenses will be reimbursed with prior approval.
Employment is on a freelance basis, but can be carried out at the Goethe-Institut in South Kensington. Closing date for applications is 31 May 2019. Interviews will take place on 17 June 2019.
Download Application form: