What we do
The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global reach.
We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural cooperation. We convey a comprehensive image of Germany by providing information about cultural, social and political life in our nation. Our cultural and educational programmes encourage intercultural dialogue and enable cultural involvement. They strengthen the development of structures in civil society and foster worldwide mobility.
With our network of Goethe-Instituts, Goethe Centres, cultural societies, reading rooms and exam and language learning centres, we have been the first point of contact for many with Germany for over sixty years. Our long-lasting partnerships with leading institutions and individuals in over ninety countries create enduring trust in Germany. We are partners for all who actively engage with Germany and its culture, working independently and without political ties.
The Goethe-Institut in the UK
- We support the British education system, schools and teachers in introducing and maintaining the German language in schools, strengthening multilingualism and intercultural dialogue.
- Our modern and diverse language courses are designed for professionals, students and those just learning German for fun.
CULTUREOur cultural programme brings a worldwide perspective to contemporary discourse in arts and society.
- We work in close collaboration with institutions, initiatives and cultural practitioners on interdisciplinary projects and throughout all art forms.
- Our programme is increasingly multilateral and includes residencies, workshops, talks and symposia. Throughout the year we host many innovative events – open to everyone!
INFORMATION & LIBRARYThrough our libraries, websites and social media we provide up-to-date information on contemporary German culture and society.
- We promote German literature and support translation projects, working closely with publishers and translators and offering training and development opportunities.
- Our libraries offer an extensive range of media on German literature, arts, society, language and history. Over 20,000 German books, newspapers, films and more are also available via our eLibrary - for free!