Finance and Administration Manager
The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global outreach. We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural co-operation. We convey a comprehensive picture of Germany by providing information on Germany's cultural, social and political life. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community.
In view of forthcoming retirements, we are aiming to strengthen the administration department of the Goethe-Institut London by establishing the new function of a German-speaking Administration and Finance Manager. This is a central position, leading the team supporting our cultural, educational and service activities. We are looking for an active, creative employee, able to shape this new post and to make a contribution to the planned digitization of the department. If you are good at dealing with people, adept at finding solutions, accurate and with a good eye for numbers, then we would like to hear from you.
We are aiming to fill this position as soon as possible.
- Supervision of the services department team, including technical staff and reception, and of the accounts department
- Premises Administration, Procurement and Security: Coordination of service activities including fault finding in case of disruption/damage, management of building maintenance and projects, awarding and monitoring of contracts, procurement and disposals. Ensuring compliance with safety regulations (fire safety, health and safety in the workplace, crisis management)
- Event Delivery: Supervising and supporting the set-up and running of in-house events
- Financial Management: assisting with the institute's finance and budget planning, budget monitoring in cooperation with the Institute's Board of Directors. Leading the accounts team, responsible for cash audits, daily-, monthly- and year-end closing, departmental billing
- Reporting and Processes: supporting the Institute's Board of Directors with financial reporting. Driving and optimising internal work flows, delivering training, and collaborating on legal matters.
- Human Resources: this function is currently not integrated into this position but will in future be part of it. It comprises being in charge of personnel administration including work-, tax- and social insurance issues, assisting in the planning and controlling of personnel resources of locally employed staff, assisting with employment- and general personnel issues, producing employment contracts and remuneration schemes.
- Degree in management studies or business administration or comparable skills and expertise. This includes:
- knowledge of business administration and financial accounting
- very good knowledge of MS-Office, in particular Excel
- very good knowledge of SAP (FI and CO)
- very good knowledge of project management
- very good language skills in German and English
- Experience with German budget law desirable
- Knowledge of British employment law desirable
- working independently and good at structuring work, resilient
- a good communicator and team player, having general and personnel management experience
- flexible, creative, open to change
- you have an affinity for IT and enjoy experimenting with IT tools and digital solutions
- willing to familiarise yourself with the relevant legal structures in the UK and/or Germany
WE OFFER:full-time employment with 39 hours per week. The starting salary, in accordance with the Goethe-Institut’s remuneration scheme, is £ 33,609 p.a. Annual Leave starts with 26 days plus Bank Holidays. This increases depending on length of service. The Goethe-Institut also offers a contributory pension scheme and includes all staff in opportunities for personal development.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 04.10.2019Please use our online application form. The form may be completed in German or in English according to your preference.
Please send your application or enquiries by e-mail to