Press- and Public Relations Officer
Start date: 08.03.2021
Temporary contract to: 28.02.2022
The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with global outreach. We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural co-operation. We convey a comprehensive picture of Germany by providing information on Germany's cultural, social and political life. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community.
The Goethe-Institut London is looking for a maternity cover for a Press- and Public Relations Officer to start on 08.03.2021. The successful applicant will initially be offered a temporary contract up to 28.02.2022 which may subsequently be renewed.
This is a part-time position of 29.25 hours per week (which is the equivalent of 75% of our full time hours per week). The starting salary in the Goethe-Institut’s remuneration scheme is £30,088 p.a. (pro rata). Annual Leave starts with 26 days plus Bank Holidays (pro rata) . This increases depending on length of service. The Goethe-Institut also offers a contributory pension scheme.
- To support the institute with press and public relations for individual projects and events. The emphasis is on digital communication and includes handling of the institute's media presence as well as ensuring compliance with its corporate design.
- Development and implementation of the annual communication concepts for selected focal points, as well as the coordination of editorial conferences
- Strategic development of press- and public relations work in general, based on evaluation of target-group analysis
- Editorial planning, management and analyses of digital projects as well as social media contributions in cooperation with the department Information & Library
- Project management and implementation of campaigns as well as podcast- and video-productions
- Coordination and implementation of general information material (print and online) as well as marketing material
- Preparation and distribution of press announcements
- Fostering contacts with British and German media representative
- To edit various (PR) texts for web and print
- Selecting and mentoring interns in the Information department (Communication and Library) in cooperation with the Head of Information & Library
- Several years of professional experience in the field of press- and public relations
- Experience in the use of social media (especially Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Experience with presentation and audio interviews
- Excellent communication skills and good editorial skills
- Experience of project-management
- Good knowledge of the British media and -culture
- English at native speaker level and good German language skills
- Organisational skills
- Good IT skills (especially MS-Office, Adobe InDesign, image editing software), possibly additional knowledge of CMS- or other editorial software
- Good time management skills
- Flexibility and the ability to work under pressure
- Experience of (online-) marketing would be an advantage
- Experience of podcast-/video-productions would be an advantage
Please note: the successful candidate must be in possession of a valid work permit for the UK.
Please note: only applications via our online application form will be accepted.
Closing date for applications: 26.02.2021
Please send your application or enquiries by e-mail to
Interviews are expected to be held during the week commencing 01.03.2021.