Digital Storytelling and mobile reporting using Instagram
Young journalists, activists, engaged students and fresh university graduates from Southeast Asian countries, Australia and New Zealand are invited to submit their applications for workshops mainly via video conferencing and production support. The theme of the workshops is contemporary social media journalism with a focus on underrepresented perspectives and discourses.
Workshop participants will benefit from the following services and expectations:
- Opportunity to establish partnerships with colleagues from Southeast Asian countries
- Share experience and gain new knowledge in the field of social media
- Professional analysis of social media journalism and target groups
- Participation in a design sprint
- Learning advanced online tools
- Support in creating and developing “story containers” for social media
- Toolkit for professional community building
- The preparatory online workshops will take place from 29 June to 3 July 2020.
- 23–24 July 2020: Topic planning
- 7 August 2020: Brief check of the planned release and assistance for story production
- 8 August 2020 launch on the new Instagram account (name to be confirmed)
- From August on, we expect the selected participants to work in two-person teams to provide content on the selected platform (e.g. an Instagram channel) to a self-selected but coordinated topic every month until December (5 times in total).
- 8 January 2021: Final project result, perspectives
This call for participation is open to interested individuals. The following materials must be submitted by 12 a.m. on 10 June 2020 (Jakarta time):
HOW DO I APPLY?
- A three to five minute video (portrait format) on the following topic: “What does Family mean to you?”. Maximum size 1 GB.
- A short one-page curriculum vitae.
- A letter of motivation (maximum 200 words).
Participants will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Creative Approach to the subject
- Technical implementation
- Experience in social media
- Proficiency in English at a level that would enable participation in the workshops and production process
The course lecturers and consultants are a team of leading practitioners from Germany and Indonesia:
- Verena Lammert is the initiator and producer of the Instagram channel “Mädelsabende” and was awarded the Grimme Online Award, the most important prize for quality media in Germany.
- Trivet Sembel is an award-winning CEO who has founded several companies, including Proud Media Group, Proud Project, Folkative, Dominion Entertainment, and Creo Creative Lab. He graduated from the Department of Sociology at the University of Washington. He spent his entire teenage years as a professional competitive yoyo player and won two national champion titles.
- Rakha Adiyoga is the chief creative officer of Proud Media Group, a digital media company that promotes youth empowerment through powerful content and storytelling. As the force behind the company’s creative process, he coordinates and directs the company’s content creation.