Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired very basic language skills and corresponds to the first level (A1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- communicate in a simple manner if the person you are speaking to talks slowly and clearly,
- understand and use familiar, everyday and common expressions and simple sentences (e.g. information about yourself and your family or about shopping, work and your immediate surroundings),
- introduce yourself and others, as well as ask others about themselves, e.g. where they live, who they know and what they own.
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 is a German exam for adults.
The Goethe-Institut exams are available to all interested parties and can be taken regardless of age and nationality.
- A minimum age of 16 years is recommended to take the Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 exam.
- To sit the Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 exam, candidates must have German language skills corresponding to the first level of competence (A1) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- To reach this level, candidates need to have completed between 80 and 200 45-minute units of teaching, depending on their previous knowledge and learning requirements.
What else is important to know?
- Exam guidelines (PDF, 337 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the exam administration (PDF, 303 KB)
- Supplement to the Terms and Conditions for Exam Administration: Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 228 KB)
- Information for Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 57 KB)
- Manual Examination goals and test description (PDF, 3,3 MB)
- Glossary (PDF, 699 KB)