Dir: Ulrich Köhler & Henner Winckler, 86 Min., Germany 2019
Beginning her life after her leaving cert and not wasting away in an East Westphalian province - that is the unspoken demand witch single father Urs has for his daughter Jette. He has got enough on his plate with his incapable brother and the affair with his receptionist. So, all of a sudden, the day of Jette's departure for her Voluntary Social Year at a Costa Rican hospital is here, but Jette is torn between her first love Mario and her wish to fulfil her father's expecations. In the end, it's a missing camera that results in Mario giving Jette a ride to the airport, making her think about her plans again. She decides not to go and together with Mario she hides from her father for days. When Urs finally finds Jette, a difficult process starts for all parties involved and the cards are being reshuffled.
The Goethe-Institut Irland has developed teaching materials for "A Voluntary Year" which can be downloaded here.
- A virtual catalogue with films curated in Post-Primary, Primary and 12-14 age collections
- Easy-to-manage bundles or a whole school pass
- Linked study guides for MFL (Modern Foreign Language) titles
- Curricular links for each film
- A step-by-step guide to help you sign up, How to Stream and FAQ pages
for further information and booking.
Presented by the Irish Film Institute in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut Irland.