By Avril Stormy Unger
is a one-on-one immersive performance that reinvents reality, challenging our ideas of self and others, by exploring gender roles and forced stereotypes. The project draws on conversations with others and research surrounding superficial judgements that are imposed by society. These judgements may range from commentaries on beauty, to misgendering strangers based on binary ideologies.
examines the greater systems that underly social behaviour and society. Each of these systems, being exceedingly binary, coerces people into certain roles, choices, lifestyles and behaviours.
This work aims to place participants in other peoples' shoes, thereby encouraging self-reflection and creating room for greater empathy.
What to expect:
While each performance is informed by the overarching premise of gender and stereotyping, there are no two performances which are the same. When registering for the event, participants are requested to specify the gender with which they currently identify. Each performance is then customised to depict a different gender reality from that of the participant.
** PLEASE NOTE **
- The performance may be audio and/or video recorded for documentation purposes.
- Some performances may include minor and safe physical contact.
- Private Parts will take place on two days - 07. & 08.2019. The average duration of each experience is approximately 12-15 minutes.
- You are required to register to participate. In order to block your slot, please write to: email@example.com.
Registration does not ensure participation.
You will be contacted by the organiser with a confirmation of your slot; please carry a print out of the written confirmation with you when you arrive for the event.
You can also register on the spot, subject to availability.
- This performance is devised to encourage self-reflection, and therefore, empathy and sensitivity.
- Participation is strongly encouraged, however, please take note that this performance may include content on gender based violence, mental health and child abuse.