The Creative Forward Fund intends to support creatives in the fields of design and crafts in Jordan whose income is currently lacking but have a firm idea e.g. of how to adapt their business to the ‘new normal’ of/ after COVID-19 or how to initiate a new project that is income generating. The Creative Forward Fund provides temporary financial support in order to kick-start and implement that idea. The funding instrument is aimed at freelance creative professionals and creative start-ups / companies whose work directly or indirectly has the potential to have a constructive influence on the cultural and creative industries in Jordan and the region. A special focus is placed on the topics of “innovation”, "ecological sustainability", "use of local materials" and "digitalisation".
The fund supports existing initiatives or new project ideas of freelance creative professionals and creative start-ups/ companies in order to guarantee them professional continuity and further professional development. As a result, their income and employment prospects are improved in medium and long term. During the funding period, the selected participants will be offered individual (digital) mentoring in areas such as financial planning, marketing, legal requirements, digitalisation and sustainability. An additional goal of the fund is the promotion of local and regional networking with our partner projects in Lebanon and Iraq.
- Design project grant: up to € 5.000 per person/team
- Up to 6 digital mentorship sessions per person/team
- Access to local and international networks
- Visibility through project presentation, public / digital events and local press and media
Application deadline: 27th June, 2021
Announcement Creative Forward Fund grantees by: mid July, 2021
- EITHER designers, freelancers, initiatives, companies, start-ups etc. which seek to develop a new design product or service
- OR designers, freelancers, initiatives, start-ups etc. in the process of starting a business
- Product & furniture design
- Graphic & type design
- Fashion & textile design
- Interior & landscape design
- Animation & illustration
- Food design
- Based in Jordan
- At least 2 years of work experience as a creative professional (e.g. designer, creative entrepreneur or in a start-up / company)
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not yet received funding during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Motivation and willingness to actively participate as a multiplier in projects of takween as well as motivation to cooperate with fellow designers
- Willingness to report, document and present the project, as well as to cooperate with mentors and to provide written evidence of the use of the grant
Projects are supported with up to € 5.000,-. The fund may cover the entire cost or comprise part of a greater sum.
Eligible project proposals must meet at least two of the following criteria:
- Innovative design ideas in dealing with the pandemic/crisis
- Reference to ecological, social or economic sustainability (e.g. green design)
- Reference to digital formats in the creative industries sector (e.g. online sales)
- Project continuity after the funding period
The implementation period must be completed by the end of January 2022
To apply for the Creative Forward Fund whether as a freelance designer or a creative company, please fill out this online application form in English or Arabic.
Required information to be provided in the application are:
- Portfolio or career references: qualifications and previous activities/ projects performed in the last 2 years as a proof of expertise in the creative industries
- Description of the current job situation against the backdrop of the pandemic, risks and chances associated with the situation
- Letter of motivation
- Description of the project idea with reference to the above-mentioned criteria (at least two out of four) including budget plan and timeline
The closing date for sending the application form is 27th June, 2021.
Selection: The decision on funding and the amount of the small grant per person or team is made by an international jury of experts. The members of the jury will be announced at a later stage.
For more information or questions, please write to:
The project “Cultural and Creative Industries” is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut. It improves employment and income opportunities for creative professionals in six partner countries; Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Kenya, Senegal, and South Africa and operates mainly in the music, fashion, design and animation sectors. In addition to promoting the development of entrepreneurial, digital, creative and technical skills through training programmes, the project aims to strengthen the framework conditions and the ecosystem of the cultural and creative industries.