"beuys on/off" Opening Talk
beuys on/off is a cross-disciplinary art project organised by the Goethe Institut Tokyo to commemorate the centenary of German artist Joseph Beuys. One of the most influential yet controversial artists of the latter half of the twentieth century, Beuys started his career as an artist after military service in World War II, and proactively engaged with issues of education, ecology, economy and politics through his expanded idea of art against the backdrop of the upheavals of the Cold War.
More than thirty years after Beuys visit to Japan in 1984, beuys on/off is responding to Joseph Beuys from the perspective of Eurasia. Connecting artists, musicians, activists, writers, domestic workers and academics across Eurasia, beuys on/off both critically reinterprets Beuys’s multi-faceted practices and updates them by addressing contemporary urgencies through both on- and off-line programmes.
Under the artistic direction of Mizuki Takahashi, beuys on/off is comprised of two major streams: Free International University 2.0 (FIU 2.0) and Sounds of Eurasia. Seven lead associates – Dominique Chen, dj sniff, Sakiko Sugawa, Gulnara Kasmalieva, Muratbek Djumaliev, Taeyoon Choi and Ma Jung-yeong – are designing programmes to explore the topics of “Eurasia”, “Ecology”, “Economy” and “Education”.
In the project’s kick-off-meeting the artistic director Mizuki Takahashi and all lead associates will gather online and introduce their perspectives on Beuys and their project plans.
Moderator: Mizuki Takahashi, Executive Director and Chief Curator, CHAT, "beuys on/off" Artistic Director (Hong Kong)
With (in order of appearance):
- Dominique Chen, Associate Professor at Waseda University, School of Culture, Media and Society, (Tokyo, Japan) (for EURASIA)
- Sakiko Sugawa, Co-Founder, Center for Reproductive Labor (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) (for ECONOMY)
- Gulnara Kasmalieva and Muratbek Djumaliev, Artists (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan) (for ECOLOGY)
- Taeyoon Choi, Artist, Educator and Co-Founder of School for Poetic Computation, (Seoul, South Korea) & Jung-Yeon Ma, Scholar, Film and New Media Studies (Osaka, Japan) (for EDUCATION)
- dj sniff, Musician and curator (Tokyo, Japan) (for SOUNDS OF EURASIA)