The Artistic Encounters series brings together the work of two different artists in one space, at the same time. The objective of the series is to bring two different artists from two different fields together, to create new work or bring a new perspective to a work of art. In so doing, the event also attracts an audience that would normally attend the performance of one of the artists to a place, where the artist collaborates with another, and hence they both benefit from a shared audience.
The highly successful series has encouraged collaborations with various artists working in different genres, drawn from across various African countries as well as Germany. These collaborations have gone further to enrich the local literature and performance scene by introducing new writers, poets and performers from other countries, as well as promoting the work of local artists.
Among the artists who have participated in the project since its inception are:
- Victor Ehikhamenor (Nigeria) & Koleka Putuma (South Africa),
- Phillipp Khabo Koepsell (Germany) & Christine Kamau (Kenya)
- Lola Shoneyin (Nigeria) & Maimouna Jallow (Gambia)
- Patricia Kihoro (Kenya) and Angela Makholwa (South Africa)
- Hana Kefela (Kenya/ Eritrea), Pede Hollist (Sierra Leone)
- Prudence Katomene (Zimbabwe) & Adipo Sidang (Kenya)
- Niq Mhlongo (SA) & Nick Ndeda (Kenya)
- Ngartia (Kenya) & Olumide Popoola (Nigeria)
- Dami Ajayi (Nigeria) & Makadem (Kenya)
- Sitawa Namwalie & Shan Bartley (Kenya)
Lola Shoneyin: We must honour literary pioneers