Asian Composer Showcase 2018
Open Call for Scores
The Asian Composers Showcase was launched in 2013 by the Goethe-Institut together with the Tongyeong International Music Festival (TIMF) to promote the composition of New Music in North East Asia. For five years now a total of twenty compositions by promising composers have been premiered at TIMF.
The Goethe-Institut Korea invites composers from the region to take part in a call for scores for the Asian Composers Showcase 2018. An international panel of judges will select from the entries four participants whose pieces will be performed next spring in Tongyeong by the Ensemble TIMF. On the basis of the premieres, one of the composers will also be given the Goethe Award, endowed with 2,000 EUR, and receive a composition commission for the following year’s Asian Composers Showcase amounting to 5,000 EUR.
- Composers born after 1 April 1979 and citizens of one of the following countries: Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Mongolia – regardless of place of residence. Moreover, composers of other nationalities who live and work in one of these East Asian countries are also eligible.
- Length of the work: maximum of 15 minutes
- The work must not have been performed or published (exception: non-public performances in a university context).
- The work must be an original work created after 2015; hence no arrangements or the like.
- Instrumentation: any combination of the following instruments: violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clarinet (also doubled with bass clarinet), piano (if possible without preparation); in addition, a traditional Asian instrument may be used. The piece should be written for a minimum of five and a maximum of nine instruments (or parts). Also the instrumentation shall not be doubled.
- Application via the online form available at the website of TIMF
- Score in PDF format and if possible a recording of the piece (Only one submission per person is permitted)
- In the case of citizenship of states other than those previously listed, proof of place of residence in one of the previously listed countries
- Submission deadline extended until: 15 November 2017
- Announcement of the four participants: 20 December 2017
- Premiere: 7 April 2018 at the Asian Composers Showcase at Tongyeong International Music Festival 2018 in Korea