Ideal if you'd like to ...
- study or conduct research in Germany
- teach at a school in Germany
- prove that you have successfully reached level C2
- be issued with an official and internationally recognized certificate
The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired extremely advanced language skills and corresponds to the sixth level (C2) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- effortlessly understand virtually everything that you read or hear in German,
- summarize information from various written and spoken sources, logically recounting reasons and explanations,
- express yourself spontaneously with a high level of fluency and precision and make finer nuances of meaning clear when discussing more complex topics.
The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom entitles foreign students to study at a German university or institution of higher education and is recognized in many places as evidence of the language skills required to teach German.
The exam is recognized as official evidence of the language competence needed to teach throughout Germany. Further information on this is available from accredited institutions in each of Germany’s states, such as the Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs, the Office for Teacher Training, the District Council or the Senate Committee.
January 2012, the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam replaced the three previously existing exams, namely the Goethe-Zertifikat: Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP), the Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS) and the Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS).
Fee: 1.700.000 L.L.
Please fill in the Registration Form in person.
Additional charges apply for individual examination dates.
By submission of a valid passport.
Registration is only possible with an appointment agreed in advance via e-mail.
Language course office
You can also obtain information on examination preparation from the Language Department.
Accessible and interactive sample papers and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam are available here: