Multi Country Youth-led Campaign against Online Violence
Online Violence Campaign is a project organized by Goethe-Institut Sri Lanka with Save the Children Sri Lanka with youth from 3 South Asian Countries; Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan. It was conducted as a series of online discussions via Digital Hangouts, on the opinion of the youth on online violence.
Digital Hangouts is a model designed and piloted by the Save the Children Nepal. With the support of Save the Children Asia Regional Office, Save the Children Sri Lanka piloted the Digital Hangouts model to connect youth from 3 countries. Digital Hangouts began as an initiative aimed at providing opportunities for students of Goethe-Institut from Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan to express their views on issues faced by children in the COVID-19 context and to learn from one another.
Initiation of the Multi-Country Campaign with youth from Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan: During Digital Hangouts, youth from all three countries identified online violence as an escalating issue affecting children. They also expressed their interest to campaign against this issue collectively to benefit their peers/ youth in the three countries. To facilitate these youth to co-create a campaign with Save the Children and Goethe-Institut, we received the support of the Myanmar Sri Lanka Thailand (MST) ACCM team to roll out the SHIFT campaign accelerator module online as a pilot. In addition, the youth were involved in series of workshops, including a 4 day creative workshop with a renowned German Artist to help youth express their online violence concerns through comic-art, which was organized by the Goethe-Institut Sri Lanka.
Webfighter Guide for Youth
2. Protect each other – young people understand the harm they can cause others if they contribute to online violence.
- Children and Youth aged 11-18 years.
- In India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- Who live in cities or larger towns.
- Who are active in Social Media.
- Who are interested in celebrities and online influencers.
- Who likes to express their emotions online and seek attention from others online.
- Shamla Hamza, Age 18.
- Januki Ranasinghe, Age18.
- Nethmi Weerakoon, Age 18
- Tharani Withanage, Age 18
- Osadhi Virochana Jayasinghe Siriwardana, Age 17
- Yukta Raj, Age 20.
- Ayushi Shah, Age 19
- Rishi Prabhakar, Age 18
- Kritika Verma, Age 21,
- Saumya Tripathi, Age 18,
- Gauri Wani, 18
- Dishana Dinesh, Age 20
- Raj Dhingra, Age 19
- Upasana Ghosh, Age 20
- Sinha Haq Janjua, Age 17.
- Maryum Melad , Age 17.
- Syed Muhammad Furqan Shah, Age 18
- Basmah Arif, Age 19
- Taha Sheikh, Age 17