Children and Youth Theatre Workshop
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Practitioners of Children and Youth Theatre in Nigeria
The GOETHE-INSTITUT NIGERIA scouts for young theatre directors and actors/actresses focusing on children theatre in Nigeria
In recent times, Nigerian theatre has become quite vibrant and experimental and the scene is flourishing. Children theatre, however, has not yet enjoyed the same attention.
Understanding the far-reaching effects of theatre to young minds, the Goethe-Institut Nigeria is set to organize a 5-day workshop with cut edge professional insights focusing on children theater (age 4-15). The workshop will be facilitated by Mrs. Barbara Koelling, stage and artistic director of HELIOS Theater, Germany.
The workshop will deal inter alia with:
- the fundamental importance of children theatre,
- the art of storytelling,
- the exploration of materials and objects for children theatre,
- artistic ingenuity
Venue: Goethe-Institut Nigeria, Lagos City Hall, 4th floor, Catholic Mission Street, Lagos Island, Lagos
- Children theatre practitioners (age 35 years and below).
- Candidates should have been practicing in the sector of children and youth theatre for at least 2 years.
- free participation
- for participants from outside of Lagos, Goethe-Institut provides accommodation (earliest arrival October 27, latest departure November 02) and a travel allowance.
- Participants must submit their applications until 10th of October 2019.
- Goethe-Institut will select up to 15 participants for the workshop.
- Incomplete applications will be excluded. The selection of applications will be based on curatorial aims.
Write an e-mail indicating your interest, attaching the following:
- CV of the applicant
- Passport copy of the applicant
- Links to publications of the applicant's activities (if available).
Barbara Kölling is stage director and artistic director of HELIOS Theater. Born in the Ruhr area in 1963, she directed more then 40 productions for children, young people and adults. Her artistic work is often characterized by interdisciplinary collaboration of puppeteers, composers, dancers, choreographers and actors.
2005 she discovered the "theatre for the very young" for herself. Since then she developed several productions and is concerned with research in this field in Germany and internationally, e.g. as the German partner of the EU-funded “small size” projects.
As artistic director, she continuously enhances the profile of the HELIOS Theater as a regional centre for children and youth theatre with federal and international significance, by hosting several conferences and symposia or the international children and youth theatre festival “hellwach”.